Thermostat

The genuine one is the same part as euro car parts sell for half the price same stamps on the metal everything, Ive ordered a pure Motorsport 75 degree one as it looks to be of fair better quality construction I shall update on arrival.

FYI changed the stat on mine today, the old one didn't look too bad. Put it in a pan of water and sure enough at 75c it started to open... when the water cooled however it was still ever so slightly open so I'm guessing on mine the spring had gone weak and it wasn't fully closing again like it should. Defiantly mad a difference on the temperature dial anyway, this is what it looks like now when up to temp:
temp_zpsu8pn5hyy.gif
Highlighted in yellow is where it would sit before, sometimes even dropping slightly below if it was a particularly cold day.

Yeah, I let it fully warm up on the drive with the expansion cap off and the bleed screw undone on the heater hoses to get any air out of the system. Went on a 10-12 mile run earlier to get some lunch and it seemed to behave, with AC on it dropped a little but I believe that's normal as the AC fan is forcing air over the rad.

Fairly easy to change in fairness, only took half hour. You don't loose much coolant either - only lost about 600ml. Leaving the header cap on helps prevent the header tank from draining when you break the joint the stat sits in, which was a handy tip from the old man lol.

Just to check the coolant temp sensor is in the back of the thermostat housing isn't it? I checked the engine temp readout from the ecu using a scan gauge but that's just going to be the same reading the sensor gives to the dials isn't it? So if it was playing up both would be the same reading even if it's wrong wouldn't they.

Just to check the coolant temp sensor is in the back of the thermostat housing isn't it? I checked the engine temp readout from the ecu using a scan gauge but that's just going to be the same reading the sensor gives to the dials isn't it? So if it was playing up both would be the same reading even if it's wrong wouldn't they.
It is after the thermo housing it's on the side not above/under .
And as far as i know the ecu 's temp(water temp) is based on that sensor only so yes..
Iirc youll be to see/remove it by removing the inlet middle pipe

Last edited: