Thermostat

Just wondering if the 182 thermostat will fit and work correctly on the 197?
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Think it is but it has different open temp(89 iirc) and our is 75
Pt no of our

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
sorry for the thread hijack but I'm having some odd thermostat related issues. I did a track day at Bedford a couple weekends ago and the car was perfect all day didn't get hot (on the needle anyway) but on the way home it was running very low on the needle at motorway speeds. found the thermostat to have actually broken in half when I fitted a brand new one from Renault last week. Just got home from a 3 day ring trip and once again temps perfect all the way there 2 days of lapping in 25-30 degree heat and then on the way home needles dropping down at motorway speed. Surely I can't have killed another thermostat it's less than a week old? Anyone had similar issues?
Thanks David

If its one time low and another high( at motorway) it is weird .
If it is on track/town/traffic 3line-middle and on motorway(only) around 2nd line then its sounds like a thermostat issue
After youve changed it once it got back to normal and after a while it began being low again?

Last edited:
It sits at the middle on track and hard driving, drops back down to the 1st line on the motorway and will keep temperature of just idling. It did sit perfect in the middle on the motorway for maybe the first 200 miles or so then began to drop down again. I don't really want to pay out for another stat and rebleed it all only for it all to happen again. But at the same time can't think of anything else that would cause the same issue?

If you hit the middle so i cant say it is the temp sensor ,as much as i can think right now ,is the thermostat but wait abit maybe there is someone knows better

Could it not be a bad thermostat with the plates/plunger not opening at the correct temperature, it not at all? I'd try removing it and place it in a bowl of boiling water to see if it retracts itself.

Is there any leakage from the termostat itself after being on the motorway?
Is the coolant staying at the same level?
Could be an airlock somewhere.
Are the heaters working properly?

I had this issue on a previous clio 1.2 (not the same as a 197 I know), turned out the previous owner instead of fitting a new one because of the broken casing (looked like he just screwed it far too tight and crushed the thing somehow, he just glued it to the engine with screws and sealed it with some sort of silicone. Absolute nutter! This was a guy who had a garage as well...

I've had no leaks, coolant is perfect level and heater run nice and warm. It was a brand new Renault oem thermostat it did look kinda cheap and nasty outta the box. Anyone had experience of using a 182 stat? this is the second one in 3 weeks that seems to have failed so I'm wondering if my car has some other issue that just doesn't show up?

I'd get the termostat off n dump It into boiling water to see if it retracts itself, if it does, the thermostat is fine, if it only goes halfway or not at all ya will need a new one. I remember just getting a bog standard one from eurocarparts, worked a treat, tho these parts do have a small tendency to fail, albeit very small they still do. Won't be doing your engine any favours if it's only opening half way. tho I've had no experience with the 182 thermostat no :worried:

Would the 182 thermo not function at a different temperature than the 197 requires? Could theoretically have an adverse affect on the engine.

I'm not a fan of the ones from euro car parts this is what failed on me first time around and it failed rather spectacularly, I went with a genuine one thinking back to when I brought a genuine Honda stat for my old Dc2 and how superior the quality was to a pattern part but the Renault one looks just a cheaply made.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 82
I've just ordered a Gates branded 75c stat from eBay for around £25. Mine seems to struggle to warm up, 90% of the time it's on the 2nd line and it will only go to the 3rd if it's been stat running in traffic or it's driven really hard on a hot day. Not sure that's normal?

When it's really cold sometimes it even drops below the 2nd line sometimes when driving about so that's saying to me the stat is stuck open?

I've just ordered a Gates branded 75c stat from eBay for around £25. Mine seems to struggle to warm up, 90% of the time it's on the 2nd line and it will only go to the 3rd if it's been stat running in traffic or it's driven really hard on a hot day. Not sure that's normal?

When it's really cold sometimes it even drops below the 2nd line sometimes when driving about so that's saying to me the stat is stuck open?
Not normal, you should be abit under the 3 rd line at the lowest .
Go for genuine one

I'm pretty sure that's normal. Mine is on the second line or a little bit above it and when driving around town it's goes to the third line. Pretty much stays halfway between the second and third during winter

See mine struggles to go much past the second line at all, it's only really when it's stood running after a drive or it's driven hard. I'll see how I get on with the Gates stat, it's a decent brand and they often manufacture the genuine ones anyway!