The RR/Targa 197

Yeah. So. This has been even longer!
2 thread updates in 1 day though! :nomouth:
I’ve had even less motivation to do this thing, but as the old man is starting to do more trade out the unit, I’ve got to make it mobile. Still very much undecided as to whether I’ll end up actually using it, but it needs sorting either way.
Ben also forced my hand into this by offering me a rebuilt box for cost.

A trip over to Penistone (lol) to visit @R20BTG last month to raid his parts hoard. Was great having a catch up and talking cars for a bit.

I’ve not actually done a great deal, but progress is progress right?

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0127.jpeg

Stuck/rusted/rounded lower swivel bolts are no match for the welder.

IMG_0129.jpeg

Lower swivel out

IMG_0130.jpeg

New lower swivel back in

IMG_0128.jpeg

Contemplating life and questioning why I do these things at this point. Upper swivels are absolutely horrible to do, and that’s exactly why I couldn’t be a mechanic. Got bored at this point and just left them in the vice like this. Hopefully the old man takes the hint next week and sorts them out.

I’ve got everything I need now to build it back up now. Once I’m done, it will have had:
Belts
Rebuilt box
New clutch and slave
New shocks
New H&R springs
Bens barely used brakes (which he donated to me after going to Meg callipers)
Inner and outer track rods
Drop links
Stabiliser links
and finally, braided lines.

So. Another day working on the shed, but with Ben’s help this time.

Managed to get the top swivel joints out. It’s all about using the right tools I guess

IMG_0189.jpeg

New swivels pressed back in

IMG_0185.jpeg

Old gearbox off, clutch, and flywheel, in order to replace the leaking rear main seal. New flywheel bolts are a must when doing this.
Reassembly included a new clutch disc, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. No pics of this though.

IMG_0190.jpeg

Of course, the ‘proper’ Renault tool used to ensure the seal is pressed in the square and the right depth.

IMG_0186.jpeg

IMG_0187.jpeg

IMG_0188.jpeg

New suspension bits getting pre-assembled before going back in the car. I’ve gone with H&R springs and none cup shocks. Iain’s old front arms, used but basically new drop links and stabilisers too.
Also Ben’s essentially free front brake setup which he’d removed after going to the Megane setup.

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_0193.jpeg

Also fitted a replacement used rad and condenser following the damage from the previous owner.

I kind of got bored of taking pics at this point. But it’s full of fluids now with the exception of coolant.
Just the battery, associated parts, air box, and scuttle bits left to fit now. Will do them another day.

IMG_0195.jpeg

Things left to buy:
N/S/F ABS sensor
Front braided lines

Really not sure if I’m gonna keep this when I’m finished. But I guess we’ll see!

Last edited:
Also. Need to find a heat shield for it.
The one which goes over the exhaust (obviously) but the one right at the front of the car which meets up with the firewall.

Would appreciate if you guys could keep your eyes peeled for one. Having no Facebook making life difficult.

Also. Need to find a heat shield for it.
The one which goes over the exhaust (obviously) but the one right at the front of the car which meets up with the firewall.

Would appreciate if you guys could keep your eyes peeled for one. Having no Facebook making life difficult.
Not sure if this is the part you need.
Guy on Facebook who've I've bought off is selling lots of parts including this heatshield set. He wants "£10 collected WA16 7AE too fragile to post". His name is Mike Ward and it is in the "Clio Sport Sale & Parts UK" group on FB.

I'm guessing you don't have FB but thought if that's the parts you need maybe one of your friends could help you out if they're close enough for collection.

Attachments

• Mike Ward sale.jpg
    Mike Ward sale.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: VeiRoNv2
Indeed. I just really can’t be arsed with it and don’t have the time to commit to it. It’s one of the reasons it’s sat in kit-form for so long.

Reactions: Beany
So I’ve just added up what I’ve spent.

£4084.23

List as follows:
Car 1800
Suspension 421.12
Clutch 305.65
Gearbox build 250
Belt kit 171.48
Aux belt kit 70.24
Rear main, flywheel bolts 74.45
Brake lines 160
Fluid 20
Service bits 80
Swivels 97.79
Drop/stabiliser links 80
Steering arms 69
Brakes 100
Rad support 49.50
Radiator 59
Coolant 16
Arms 100
Abs sensor 70
Battery 70
Battery clamp 20

I’m a pleb. Bet I’m going to struggle to get even 4k for it given the age/mileage. :tearsofjoy: