The dark side - Mini Cooper S

Paul

Platinum Member
Im good friends with one of the personal trainers down at my gym and he has been saying for ages about swapping cars for a blast. We have never found time and it seemed like one of those brilliant ideas which would never materialise, anyway I was filling up last night and who should turn up... :thumbup:

Brimmed the tanks and swapped keys, then went out for a play on some back roads. First things first - this Cooper S is putting out over 220BHP so its not really a fair fight. First impressions were of how soft the ride was, dont get me wrong it didn't roll much, but more than the R27. Pulled out of the carpark and put my foot down as I would in the Clio and OMG the torque is something else! It is great having it from no RPM's and not having to rev the nuts off. Torque steer on the other hand was not welcome! Never had this problem in the 197 and Im very glad about it! It was quite severe and made it more of a challenge to drive in a straight line! :blush:mg:

Once they were up to speed there wasn't a massive difference but the Mini was quicker, which was to be expected. I don't know if it is not being familiar with the car or not, but it didn't feel as planted in the bends or as good under braking, but having a turbo to lug out of the corners certainly helped! I couldn't help but think that it would eat tires in half the time of the Clio though.

We both had a lot of fun and each car had its positive and negatives. One thing I will say is that the Mini felt a lot more sturdy and well built. It had a dump valve on too, which isn't to everyones taste, but I loved the sound on overrun and changing gear! :thumbsup:

Pretty pleased with the experience; it is a truly brilliant car, although as much as I enjoyed it I won't be swapping just yet. I know there have been numerous comparisons between the two cars but I would consider the Mini over any of the other competition, if I didn't already have the Clio then I would probably have a Mini shortly! :tongueout:anic:

Last little point - I love seeing my car on the road... :thumbup1:

I can totally agree your love for the turbo and the low down grunt.

We don't use the clio much because the Abarth 500 is a nicer place to be with an awesome sound system and is quicker day to day but its still not an RS for those high revving B Road blasts when the mood takes you :lol:

We are spoiled on the 197/200 with the Brembo's though, so much so that were getting them for the 500.

I'd have a Cooper S too but Lisa preferred the 500 as if it was the mini it would have had to have been british racing green/black roof and black wheels :001_tt1:

mini cooper S have you heard that exhaust note? it is something else.

If you get one you must get the older style with the supercharger and get one with the chilli pack my mate has one on coilovers and bigger intercooler lohen map and lw pulleys etc etc is a very quick car

The new turbo model is horrible, as commented in the other thread. Torque steer on the standard car is bad enough, so with 220+bhp i can only imagine what its like. Also doesnt feel anywhere near as stable over bumps in the road. I have found that the Cooper S we are using at present, just seems to bounce completely across the road if you hit a bump. Its not nice, and doesnt feel safe at all. Doesnt matter if you have DSC on or off either. I also dont like the fact you have to actually put it into sport mode before it actually feels like it will go anywhere at all.

The new turbo model is horrible, as commented in the other thread. Torque steer on the standard car is bad enough, so with 220+bhp i can only imagine what its like. Also doesnt feel anywhere near as stable over bumps in the road. I have found that the Cooper S we are using at present, just seems to bounce completely across the road if you hit a bump. Its not nice, and doesnt feel safe at all. Doesnt matter if you have DSC on or off either. I also dont like the fact you have to actually put it into sport mode before it actually feels like it will go anywhere at all.

Completely agree with the majority of that mate! But I wouldn't go as far as saying it is horrible. It seems nowhere near as planted as the Clio and the torque steer was a bit annoying in all honesty! I will be interested to see these Clio conversions by Woody, Jonesy and Bic just to see if it is the chassis on the Clio that is very well sorted and eliminates the problem OR if there just isn't enough torque to cause a problem lol!

a friend has a cooper s, on coilovers, shorter pulley, works map, milltek exhaust, brembos, triple8s, the 197 was better through 3rd on a rolling start, and stops so much faster. both seemed so similar for acceleration and top speed. plus i beat it on a lap of the nurburgring which is good in a standard car except for the itg filter especially as i have done about 70 laps less :tongueout:

I have the best of both worlds... My girlfriend has a Cooper S and I have a the Clio.

LOL

Yeah that would be a good situation to be in!

Hmmm gives me an idea.... :tongue_smilie:

(Scurries off to speak to GF)