Temp Gauge - Fluctuation

The last week i have noticed my temp gauge that normally sits on the 2nd bar at operating temps has dropped to between the 1st and 2nd bar, then moves back up to the 2nd bar. It will then sit there fine. Car is a 200 CUP

I also had a thought that the heater when on 22 degrees this week didnt feel as warm as it should.

Could this be something to do with a faulty coolant temp sensor? If it is where is it located

I found a switch under the front sill of the engine bay that looks like a cable/hose comes from the coolant tank onto it?

Car is running fine but just stange the movement of the temp gauge needle...

Thanks was thinking thermostat, the switch or the coolant temp sensor

Just don't know where any of those are located, any advice??

Please

your cars actually a Full fat with cup pack, in any other car i would say it was the stat but as youve got climate control as well as seting at 22 the ccar will heat up as neccessary to that temp, sometimes bringing the AC on. did the flucuating occur when the heating is on? i found with mine that with the heaters on aswell as with ac the engine does drop cooler, i tested mine while in traffic by turning the climate totally off, then the engine temp went back up.

I had the heater on but no AC and noticed it had dropped. Recently the temp has been on 18 and left and it has moved about between the 2nd mark and between the 1st and 2nd mark.

Heating at 22 degrees this week!? Where do you live!? I've been driving around with my head out the window its been that warm in the car.

I had the heater on but no AC and noticed it had dropped. Recently the temp has been on 18 and left and it has moved about between the 2nd mark and between the 1st and 2nd mark.

using climate control automatically brings on the ac when too warm for the set temp. keeping the cliamte control/heaters/ac off and see if it stops it.

Will try that, am also thinking get thermostat and coolant temp sensor checked...

Can anyone tell me where they are located in the engine?

Stat is notmally inside an housing bolted to the right side of the head above the gearbox, you should see a big coolant hose going into it. The coolant sensor i think maybe in the radiator down the one side, but not really sure.

engine temp sensor is also located in the thermostat housing at the rear of the cylinder head - brown or gray iso plug on the end iirc

Last edited: