tcw's Clio 197

Wow - it's been a while since I updated this thread.

To be honest - no real changes with the Clio - have really just been driving it to be honest. MOT was done last weekend (pass, no advisories), the week before was rebuilding the both the rear calipers, and new rear discs and pads (genuine). Having never rebuilt calipers - I was quite surprised on how easy it was to do - fairly cheap too, all things considered!

7,713 miles completed in the last year - am honestly quite surprised at how little miles I've done in the car!

good to hear there are no issues and you can enjoy your car to its full potential..same here really..
as they say "no news,good news" :thumb:

More recent update - picked up some B14's off a friend that was switching over to Gaz Golds. The driveshafts have been seized in the hubs since I bought the car, we've worked around it previously but with no intention to sell anytime soon it made sense to just get it sorted once and for all. It turned into an expensive journey!

The car will have had (by the time it goes back together on Sunday):
  • Sump Gasket
  • Oil
  • Filter
  • Top Mounts
  • B14's (cleaned them up, greased them)
  • Wishbone Ball Joints
  • Upper Swivel Ball Joints
  • Lower Swivel Ball Joints
  • Powerflex wishbone bushes
  • New starter motor
  • New brake calipers
A lot of £££ in the last week!

Brief update... spent some time detailing the car, got front bumper painted, added a RenaultSport splitter.

Took the engine out a couple of weekends ago, sorted heatshield whilst I was there. Replaced starter motor heatshield with a bolted one to avoid the issues I suffered at the Nurburging (shorting and killing fuse, due to hitting too many kerbs at Spa).
I also fitted a gearbox I refurbished over the previous months - TL031, new syncros, bearings and finally - a diff from Val Racing (Torsen with preload).

Replaced all the engine mounts at the same time.

So happy with the car now - will upload photos/write some more if people are interested. Diff is for sure one of the best upgrades that can be done to a 197.

So, the car has undergone a few changes in the recent months. I've not done many trackdays due to the world being upside down. I did manage to squeeze a Nurburgring trackday in last year which was nice! Very wet but still enjoyed myself.

I've recently convinced the father in law and brother in law to invest into some baguettes so I am not driving around alone on track.

In the meanwhile I've also fitted some buckets (Sparco Grid Q) in place of the standard recaros. I wanted the buckets to be mounted on sliders, but felt that a subframe / side mount setup was somewhat unnecessary (and universal sliders always seem a bit shit from what I can gather).

So I decided to design some sidemounts which fitted directly to the floor, for a first attempt I'm pretty happy with them tbh, some tweaks will be made if I decide to make another.

Next stop is harnesses / half cage.