Symtoms of cv joint and driveshaft ?

What makes you suspect inner cv and driveshaft ? Inner CVS tend to last longer than outer CVS as they aren't under the same stresses.

Garage was checking it on the ramp gave it a shake and came and said my iner cv gaiter is on way out and possibly will need to replace drive shaft as well ? I took it there because of my steering wheel making a creaking noise and felt play in it while rocking it back and forth also felt a bit of wheel shake going over 70 when going round a bend in road . After they checked all suspension he got back in my car as checked the bolt holding the steering wheel in place and that was really loose so not the creaking has stoped and haven't noticed wheel shake again after that was tightened . Just now thinking does it really need cv replacing or what ? How much would it cost if it does need replacing ?

inner joints are quite reliable and robust as they don't really work through a large angle to transfer drive....usually only go faulty if the boot splits and they loose the grease

as for checking it will usually make a conk/clicking sound when taking up the drive off

Last edited:
What about if I had a broken spring would that of made it weaker as I've just replaced the spring a week or 2 ago also had new ball joints 4 months ago . I can't say I've noticed any noise now after the bolt was tightened , might have to have a better listen and turn my music down then I might hear something , feels ok to drive and I use a lot of bumpy and bendy back roads an the car sticks to the road like glue think I'll go back to the garage and ask him to explain better what's up maybe he can show me what he's on about that's wrong . Thanks

What about if I had a broken spring would that of made it weaker as I've just replaced the spring a week or 2 ago also had new ball joints 4 months ago . I can't say I've noticed any noise now after the bolt was tightened , might have to have a better listen and turn my music down then I might hear something , feels ok to drive and I use a lot of bumpy and bendy back roads an the car sticks to the road like glue think I'll go back to the garage and ask him to explain better what's up maybe he can show me what he's on about that's wrong . Thanks

not really...

get them to explain whats is "wrong" with it...

Yes I will do thanks a lot some garages see us women coming cause we don't understand engines that's why I love this site it's always full of good advice from people who know so much about these cars thanks again

Can I just hijack this slightly?
I feel a subtle single click in my steering wheel when reversing out of my driveway or otherwise parking sometimes. Steering feels perfect and tight and straight all other times. Any ideas?

Can I just hijack this slightly?
I feel a subtle single click in my steering wheel when reversing out of my driveway or otherwise parking sometimes. Steering feels perfect and tight and straight all other times. Any ideas?

Not sure if this is the same issue, but when turning the wheel at full lock, sometimes there would be a little sort of click/bump/feedback through the wheel. I get it when pulling off my driveway in the morning. Only seems to happen on full lock, and no idea what's causing it. Doesn't seem to be anything to worry about though. Someone else posted about it here; http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?51849-Steering-Clunk

Went on the same drive as before yesterday and again while going about 90 for a spilt second I heard a noise like the wheel was shaking maybe it's a bit of damaged road I'm going over at high speed that's making the noise , I still haven't been back to ask the garage what was making them think I need to replace the cv joint and maybe the drive shaft. I have had the both ball joints replaced not long ago and that was making a mad noise when parking up on full lock or taking off slowly with full lock have you had the ball joints checked to see if that's your problem causing the noise ?

Went on the same drive as before yesterday and again while going about 90 for a spilt second I heard a noise like the wheel was shaking maybe it's a bit of damaged road I'm going over at high speed that's making the noise , I still haven't been back to ask the garage what was making them think I need to replace the cv joint and maybe the drive shaft. I have had the both ball joints replaced not long ago and that was making a mad noise when parking up on full lock or taking off slowly with full lock have you had the ball joints checked to see if that's your problem causing the noise ?

Do you have access to a jack and axle stands? If so then jack it up and have a look at the inner CV joint,look to see if its split / damaged.

Having said that, only do this if you are confident in doing so!

Not sure if this helps at all but, but we believe my NS driveshaft has had it. Any revs higher than 3500, and feels like the front wheels are going to fly off ! The massive vibrations come through the pedals ( throttle most), and obviously the steering. Because of other vibration issues, not sure how long this has been going on for. There is a lot of lateral play in the driveshaft, compared to another car checked for comparison. Replacement being put on next week, hopefully this is the cure. If not, the driveshaft can be returned. BUT, ive been warned could be a diff problem. All seems somewhat unusual to me, as never really mentioned on here. Everyone keeps telling me " its the way i drive !"

How much is a drive shaft? I don't know anything about how to jack up a car unfortunately , I guess I'll have to go back to the garage and ask them to show me while up on the ramp think I'll go there tomoz morning while I have my only day off work. I have tried to listen for the clonk sound when I'm taking off but can't hear anything out the ordinary really

I would be very surprised if you need to replace the driveshaft , often people replace complete driveshafts when the cv boots split (especially inner ones) as the driveshaft needs to be removed completely to replace the boots , so it's easier but more expensive to replace the complete driveshaft (similar labour cost). Where are you based ? You never know there may a member close by willing to help.

Hi im in anglesey no renault places close to me and I'm slowly doing the rounds of my local garages can't seam to find a decent one apart from one which is in middle of no were and have to find a lift from there and then back again as there's no we're to wait it's just a garage in his back yard sort of thing which is a right pain in the arse cause he's a good garage and has always done my old car the clio 172 for years when I only lived down the road from there but now I've moved to holyhead it's useless always seams there not to clued up with these cars unfortunately or they are complete con artists which I can't trust :worried: