Sussex performance 'race' intake manifold

Anyone own one of these and seen results? No actual dyno results on their site for this but they have made one for the 172 and 182 and seen gains.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Not seen any results but I know Jack Kemp who runs this company with his father and their work is top quality.

The thing with modding the F4r engine in the 197/200 is that each individual mod (inlets, induction, exhaust etc) give very little gains on paper but they all go very well together to give massive improvements in how the car drives and responds. If you are looking to do further mods then these are a good purchase.

I quite like that RenaultSport writing.

As said above, each mod individualy shows very little gains, but combined with a few other thing, they all stack up into creating a good improvement which can be seen.

Matched inlets was the best mod I did on my 172

They do look nicely done and I agree that coupled with other bits, it'd make a good difference. Just wondered if anyone actually has one fitted as it's not exactly cheap to have a punt at. Must do something though I guess as the differences in design are obvious

They will 100% make a difference! the standard Inlet have 'small' ports, the ports are smaller than the inlet gasket, so they machine the inlet out to the same size as the gasket, meaning more air can be drawn in.

Yeh exactly my thinking but just wondered just how much of a difference/improvement it would make as I havnt come across anyone who's got one on here. So much easier getting gains from turbo'd cars lol totally different way of going about things

Are the runners on the standard one tapered though perhaps, hence 'small' ports? Tapered setups usually work well because gas speed is kept high.

R3's even at 250 spec run a standard inlet, now I know reg's mandate this and ITB's would be 'better', but, it would be good to find out if any work is done to the stock inlet or not in either 230 or 250 R3 trim?? Because clearly it's got enough potential in it to be suitable for std cams and wilder ones.

I'm sorry mate I've got no idea what you're talking about in that second bit ha ha- were you refering to my turbo comment? Because that was just a generic turbo comment about turbod engines being easier to get greater gains from with mild tuning and not about meg variants etc.

Last edited:
Are the runners on the standard one tapered though perhaps, hence 'small' ports? Tapered setups usually work well because gas speed is kept high.

R3's even at 250 spec run a standard inlet, now I know reg's mandate this and ITB's would be 'better', but, it would be good to find out if any work is done to the stock inlet or not in either 230 or 250 R3 trim?? Because clearly it's got enough potential in it to be suitable for std cams and wilder ones.

Sorry mate had no idea what an r3 was ah ha. So if they use the standard mani then what have they done to the engine?- cams, head work and forge internals? So the standard unit is pretty capable then.

At at the end of the day if I'm looking at spending nearly £450 on something I want evidence that it works and they don't provide a single thing on their site

Well, to correct Fenandez, there are 3 levels of R3.
1) R3 Access is the basic one, but it is not 230bhp, it is a standard 197bhp engine (of course blue printed). Exhaust is different but exhaust manifold is stock (albiet empited pre-cat iirc), inlet is same as Cup Racer.
2) Then there is the R3 Maxi which is 230bhp. Big spec changes, manifold, cams, exhaust, uses Cup Racer airbox too.
3) From 2009 the R3 Maxi 'Evo' spec which is 250bhp. Even more changes including the fancy airbox arrangement.

I can see that all 3 use the same part number for the inlet manifold and TB, we would need to speak to the likes or Oreca as to if they do any porting on Maxi or Maxi Evo spec's, however I would suspect not because otherwise it would likley require a new item/casting to meet any FIA sanctions/approval.

Without wishing to put this after market 'bored' manifold down, I would want to see some solid back to back testing done on it and watch what it does to the area under the curve not just peek fig's etc.

1) R3 Access is the basic one, but it is not 230bhp, it is a standard 197bhp engine (of course blue printed). Exhaust is different but exhaust manifold is stock (albiet empited pre-cat iirc), inlet is same as Cup Racer.
2) Then there is the R3 Maxi which is 230bhp. Big spec changes, manifold, cams, exhaust, uses Cup Racer airbox too.
3) From 2009 the R3 Maxi 'Evo' spec which is 250bhp. Even more changes including the fancy airbox arrangement.

I can see that all 3 use the same part number for the inlet manifold and TB, we would need to speak to the likes or Oreca as to if they do any porting on Maxi or Maxi Evo spec's, however I would suspect not because otherwise it would likley require a new item/casting to meet any FIA sanctions/approval.

Without wishing to put this after market 'bored' manifold down, I would want to see some solid back to back testing done on it and watch what it does to the area under the curve not just peek fig's etc.

Cheers bud. Cant get it right all the time but id choose the Maxi Evo myself :thumbsup:

mate im sat with the docs all in front of me and it's still confussing! - doesnt help that they bundle all the parts in one doc for all 3 models and I also dont read french! lol

just seen the maxi's have different injectors too, hmmm. This could get costly....!

Yeh same here. I mean it looks like a really nice bit of kit but after all it goes on about on the write up I want to see results.

this along with a well placed induction system should see a substantial improvement in figures surely.

Might invest in one of these soon, just with the standard RS plaque. Simply because I can have it in a custom colour.. YAY

£350 I think but then you've got fitting on top unless you DIY. Like I said, it looks really nice and good quality but I want to see figures and results