Suspension refresh

Ok fair enough, as when I read, as I was going to do same as you, I got literally the opposite, yes the springs are progressive, but again they were made for a certain damper, if you change those parameters the output will be different.

Many people run H&R on Cups and they are horrible, been out in many and I definitely didn't want them, then I went out in Eibach on standard and cup and I chose standard and I am glad I did, as it would be even worse on cup dampers lol.

Ok fair enough, as when I read, as I was going to do same as you, I got literally the opposite, yes the springs are progressive, but again they were made for a certain damper, if you change those parameters the output will be different.

Many people run H&R on Cups and they are horrible, been out in many and I definitely didn't want them, then I went out in Eibach on standard and cup and I chose standard and I am glad I did, as it would be even worse on cup dampers lol.
Thats good to know mate. I bought the car not realising it was on H&Rs, which are really hard

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: suj

Are you in a 197 or a 200?

I have a 197, 200 cup dampers are even stiffer lol
I drove a cup packed Gordini recently after mine is now fitted with coilies and tbf i was expecting it to be a lot harsher.
Gone are the days I can remember driving mine on cup susp but it was never uncomfortable

I drove a cup packed Gordini recently after mine is now fitted with coilies and tbf i was expecting it to be a lot harsher.
Gone are the days I can remember driving mine on cup susp but it was never uncomfortable

Loads of factors isn't there Chris, tyre stiffness etc

My R27 on new cup dampers was way too stiff, why I made sure my current 197 is standard spring and dampers, it was sooo much better on country lanes. Totally on a track cup all the way, but most of us just hoon on country lanes.

Reactions: Beany
Loads of factors isn't there Chris, tyre stiffness etc

My R27 on new cup dampers was way too stiff, why I made sure my current 197 is standard spring and dampers, it was sooo much better on country lanes. Totally on a track cup all the way, but most of us just hoon on country lanes.
That’s one thing I do miss, being able to take it out for a hoon, it’s too focussed and stiff it’ll bounce across the road :smile: even more so when i get it back.

But you’re right mate a lot of factors to consider. Everyone’s different and my cup of tea maybe different to yours but they’re both tea

Also to add, I've had safety stuff like my E38 740iL to track cars (200sx and E36 328i) so I've had both extremes, I'm getting old haha.

Yeah I've thought about it too much now. I might stay standard. The press raved about this car at the time, Renaultsport must have done a pretty good job. And at least I know the springs and dampers are all brand new and matched

Haha now that wasn't even our plan, as the car firming up slightly is good, so it's not a bad thing, what I was getting at when me and Chris were talking, it is all subjective.

Also sidenote, I have genuine standard springs brand new (I know for sure rears, but I might even have fronts) for a 197 (so depending on your year, if it is the earlier bigger mount) I can sell you for cheaper? I am away from home until tomorrow evening, I can get in the attic and check. I was originally going to put just standard springs and dampers, but I got some Eibachs for cheap, so I went with them.

Last edited: