Suspension refresh

Got an RS200 with cup pack which needs full suspension refresh. I use the car as a (low mileage) daily, do most hard driving on bumpy B roads and will do a couple of track days a year max. Find the current set up a bit too harsh at times (though might be because everything's worn and I know yr the bump stops are knackered)

So was thinking of going for the non-Cup dampers with Eibach pro street springs, to improve ride and look but still allow for occasional track day

Has anyone done similar or experienced Cup Vs non-Cup chassis? Or will brand new Cup parts give a much better ride?

Thanks.

Ross
601a1f15183e77fe0167906a6fed29a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Personally I think the cup shocks are massively better than the non cup, even though they are a bit harsh on B roads.

Ultimately you need to decide what you want, a comfy car, or something which handles like a cup.

Reactions: overstier
You’re probably looking for something that doesn’t exist. Comfy on road yet stiff on track. Coilovers May achieve that with adjustable damping but I’d go for cup shocks and springs as a compromise. Maybe Grams springs if you want it lowered

Coilovers Maybe are abit extreme but would recommend keeping the cup set up, and change the springs if you wanted a lower profile.

Your looking at the wrong car if you want to be sat comfortable on a daily commute.
B roads are where these excel you may need to re-evaluate what you want from the car

I refreshed 197 cup suspension at the start of the year after it was ~50k/7 years old and it’s still firm but the damping is much better, especially noticeable over speed bumps. I have thought about standard suspension as a compromise due to the ridiculous state of the roads in this country, I just feel as if the extra sharpness of the cup suspension is worth it for when you are on a decent road. I’d still like to try a standard setup to feel the difference... I’m not sure about the 200 but the 197 cup is nowhere near as harsh as something like a Fiesta ST, it’s actually relatively soft for how well it handles.

You’re probably looking for something that doesn’t exist. Comfy on road yet stiff on track. Coilovers May achieve that with adjustable damping but I’d go for cup shocks and springs as a compromise. Maybe Grams springs if you want it lowered
I know it'll always be a firm riding car and am happy with that, mine is just a bit crashy so I'm hoping that's just because everything is worn. I wondered if anyone's recently renewed springs and dampers and noticed an improvement

I refreshed 197 cup suspension at the start of the year after it was ~50k/7 years old and it’s still firm but the damping is much better, especially noticeable over speed bumps. I have thought about standard suspension as a compromise due to the ridiculous state of the roads in this country, I just feel as if the extra sharpness of the cup suspension is worth it for when you are on a decent road. I’d still like to try a standard setup to feel the difference... I’m not sure about the 200 but the 197 cup is nowhere near as harsh as something like a Fiesta ST, it’s actually relatively soft for how well it handles.
From magazine reviews I read I think the 200 Cup spring rates are much stiffer that 197 but good to know you noticed difference after replacing dampers [emoji1360]

Coilovers Maybe are abit extreme but would recommend keeping the cup set up, and change the springs if you wanted a lower profile.

Your looking at the wrong car if you want to be sat comfortable on a daily commute.
B roads are where these excel you may need to re-evaluate what you want from the car
Thanks mate, handling definitely more important than comfort. I think this is just telling me I need to refresh the suspension and enjoy the car!

Reactions: Beany
Billstein B14's ride noticeably more comfortable and improves handling significantly, reducing body roll. I'd highly recommend for fast road / occasional track day.

Reactions: lewishunter98
I've read that the B-14's are less comfortable than 197 cup suspension, perhaps they're more comfortable when compared to the firmer 200 cup suspension?

I think 200 Cup springs were 15 stiffer than 197 Cup so would make sense that Bilstiens fall somewhere in between.

I realise it's subjective anyway, but seems that Eibach springs are the most compliant none standard option as they have a progressive spring rate

Thanks for all the advice though much appreciated!

I've read that the B-14's are less comfortable than 197 cup suspension, perhaps they're more comfortable when compared to the firmer 200 cup suspension?

B14's are definitely more comfortable than the cup suspension in my experience. They ride stiff but not crashy. My only criticisms at this price is low travel at the rear. When lowered a bit, springs knock at bumps if not properly slowed down or carrying a couple of passengers, which gets very annoying if you live in a town with many speed bumps. I've never driven a non-cup car though so can't compare...

Thanks again for all the input. Getting work done next week, thinking Cup shocks and Eibach springs as this seems to be the best balance, as coilovers are out of budget.

Good news is that it turns out mine is actually fitted with H&Rs which seems to be get slated for crashiness, and my top mounts are battered, so whatever I go for should feel miles better [emoji41]

Reactions: suj
The the solution of your problems consists of two letters and a designation (KW V3). Better handling than the original setup but also more comfort.

Reactions: RSRowe
The the solution of your problems consists of two letters and a designation (KW V3). Better handling than the original setup but also more comfort.

This solution also costs the same as what the car costs in the UK lol :tearsofjoy:

Thanks again for all the input. Getting work done next week, thinking Cup shocks and Eibach springs as this seems to be the best balance, as coilovers are out of budget.

Good news is that it turns out mine is actually fitted with H&Rs which seems to be get slated for crashiness, and my top mounts are battered, so whatever I go for should feel miles better [emoji41]

So the Eibachs were designed around the standard dampers (aka non-cup ones) I run them on mine and I do 75miles a day, it's not the most comfortable, but it isn't back breaking (I'm spoilt and ran an E38 BMW 740iL before lol).

The dampers are on offer at the moment, £35 each from @renaultpartsdirect which is a bargain, £140 for 4 + what you pay for springs.

Big thanks for all the input [emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]

With coilovers out of budget, I've gone for Eibachs and cup dampers as this setup seems to get loads of good reports. Looking forward to driving it! [emoji3]

Reactions: Beany and suj
Just to let you know, the Eibachs were designed around non-cup dampers, the cup ones will make it even stiffer and could make your ride really bad, there a some posts on here saying the same (R27 dampers = cup dampers by the way):

https://clio197.net/threads/eibach-pro-kit.613/
Thanks mate. There's plenty of experience with them across the forums, saying the spring rate is progressive so improves the ride over cup springs. And they're better quality. I know it won't be perfect but I'm hoping it's the best comprise for the budget I've got.