Suspension: Differance between top mounts

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Steering' started by Paddy_R, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Paddy_R

Paddy_R Platinum Member

Car:
    RS 200 FF (red)
    Right I've been on here a while now and I frequently see reference to different sized top mounts on the 200. Now what I'm looking to know is how can you tell what you have? Can I look under the bonnet or are the front wheels going to have to come off? Is there an easy way to tell or does the suspension need to come off and the tape measure need to come out?

I have a July 2011 registered 200 if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help.

A.lex likes this.

2. GrumpyTwig

GrumpyTwig "the troll hunter" with added boost!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. MikeH

MikeH Platinum Member Platinum Member

Car:
    182 track toy & GW R26
  4. Paddy_R

Paddy_R Platinum Member

Car:
    RS 200 FF (red)
    Thanks.

This was what I was looking for:

5. smoggy mark

smoggy mark

Car:
    M3
    A july 2011 should be the new style top mount so if you fitting springs you should no what you need but if your going for coilovers might be worth measuring the top of your shocks to make sure.If its 33mm which it should be then all is well.
    I just say this as i had a bit of a nightmare with a set of KW coilovers i got of a sep 60reg with old top mounts and had the newer shocks with the 33mm and mine were the old 24mm.It was very puzzling why it had old top mounts and new shocks?

6. Paddy_R

Paddy_R Platinum Member

Car:
    RS 200 FF (red)
    Seriously thinking about springs. For no other reason than to make it easier to get out of the recaro! I kid you not. The car being an inch closer to the ground would make it a lot easier.

7. Roger200

Roger200

Interesting you say this, I ordered my car in June 2010 and picked it up at end of September 2010 (60 plate). I'm scared to check cos I don't want the old ones lol.

8. smoggy mark

smoggy mark

Car:
    M3
    Well mate if you are thinking of ever getting coilovers i would check defore you part with any cash,if you have the old style the coilovers are cheaper so be a bonus ha!

9. ken182

ken182

anyone know if front strut braces are interchangeable? the hole pcd the same between old and new style?

10. alex_hazard

alex_hazard

Car:
    BG 182 Cup
    Digging up an old one here, does anyone who if it is possible to get adjustable top mounts for the new style top mounts? AST have said they don't think they can? Would love to know if anyone has any any experience. Cheers