Suggested ride height for Bilstein B14 install

Robjones888

Paid Member
Hi all new to fwd , just fitting a set of B14’s and pms front top mounts to my 197 any guides to ride height settings would be very much appreciated , thanks

The instruction manual has details on this I'll have a look, as setting too low the car rides on the bump stops inside the shocks and therefore the shock cant operate and people can falsely say they are not good enough.

Reactions: wootwoot
Set it at half way for both the front and rear. Make sure there is some rake so that the rear of the car is higher than the front. Then adjust it how you want it to be.

When I had B14s I set them about in the middle and the ride height was about 20mm lower than standard cup shocks and springs.

Never knew Bilstein had a document recommending heights. That would have saved me time and money.

I have the b14s and have run them at a range of heights.
I found personally that the best set up for me has been 1 cm lower front and rear from the 197 cup chassis height.
It takes bumpy roads like a champ and does not get unsettled over bumps, and dare I say it more compliant than the 197 non cup shocks and springs the car came with.
You do have to cut some length off the rear bump stops as mentioned previously, as even at the highest ride setting in the rear they sit on the bump stop already.
Its pretty easy to take apart and cut.
Front ride height from bottom of the rim to the guard at my happy set up is
575mm
And rear
585mm

I live on bumpy roads all around me and daily the car and really like the set up now in the b14, whereas previous I hated them and wanted to get rid of them. I run standard wheels and tyres and just adjustable sway bar links.
Attached is a pic of the cut rear bump stop. It's super easy to do, just try make sure you cut it straight haha.

Hope that helps as I asked on fb groups for recommendations also and got the usual "yeah bro, low but not too low" that page shits me no end haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_120355.jpg
    IMG_20200927_120355.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
That’s going to be a really great help thanks , I’m the same living with mainly bumpy B roads most of the time so very similar