Struggling to get second - linkages? (200 Cup)

beaks

Paid Member
Hi all,

Currently struggling to get the car into second gear. Often get a crunch or sometimes nothing.

No issues with the other gears but what I have noticed is the 'throw' from neutral position on the gearstick going back to 2nd, 4th and 6th seems less distance than that going to 1st, 3rd and 5th.

I haven't had my Cup long so I don't really know if this is a 'standard' thing or potentially the cause of my issue.

I've recently changed gear oil (and again today using the good 'Elf' stuff so I'm certain that's not the cause.

Any help would be massively appreciated as so far I've not really been able to drive the car as much as I'd like!

Cheers !

Take out the battery and tray to expose the top of the gearbox, and you’ll be able to do a visual inspection of the cables. They pass through a plastic plug type thing that should clip into the castings on the top of the gearbox. If one has come dislodged or isn’t seated correctly it might throw up some shifting issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread should help with the shifter cables:

Reactions: Frank Perry
Longer throw = stretched cables. Shorter probably means something is impeding your shift; check the linkage as suggested by R20BTG

thanks for all the replies - will take a look and see what's going on.

hopefully nothing major as I really can't afford anything horrific...!