STOP Steering Fault

hhh182

Gold Member
[FONT=&quot]Hi Guys, [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A week ago, on turning a corner the steering violently moved, electric power steering stop working, STOP light and ESP light became illuminated and Steering Failure message is displayed. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The RAC have been out to have a poke and they found no fault with battery or connections, so the Clio has regrettably gone into Evans Halshaw Middlesbrough today for a disgnostic after speaking with RUK. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am aware of steering issues being reported online across different car forums but all members have since become inactive. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Has anyone on here had this issue with there Clio? RUK have 'no awareness' of any previous episodes of steering rack failures, yet and I have seen a +£1000 bill being quoted on forums for repairs outside warranty with an RUK contribution being made.. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Sadly I have just been quoted £1100 for the repair!
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hugh [/FONT]

£1100 for a replacement steering rack? iirc a 200 cup rack is around £300 (although that was for the old knocking fault, depends exactly what yours is), and even accounting for 4-5 hours to replace (if that), labour should only be around £2-300.

[FONT=&quot]Diagnostics confirmed the repair is a new power steering column priced at £1100!! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The car is standard albeit AD08 tyres and front DS2500 pads. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It has done one trackday which was RenaultSports Rockingham following which the issue occurred.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Its very frustrating to think that the part has failed on a unmodified car because of an event RS is promoting and customer relations aren't acknowledging any other episodes of Clio's having simular faults. [/FONT]

The steering column alone is £700 plus VAT. So a bill of in and around £1100 is probably about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The steering column alone is £700 plus VAT. So a bill of in and around £1100 is probably about right.

Thats a ****ter

i would be on the phone to RUK straight away - especially for a car that was offered with track days as part of the purchase

I would be expecting goodwill on that

s

I would try RUK. What is the service history like on this car as that will be taken in to account.

Fingers crossed for you as a bill like that would leave me sickened.

[MENTION=3002]-Eddie-[/MENTION] Service history is complete at Renault Chester albeit the latest by Falcon Performance (reputable Independent) in Feb'16

I would be confident then if you go through customer relations you will have a favourable outcome.

shame they cant actually investigate it properly....might only be a simple fix....

plenty of horror stories for fiat electric steering and some of the fixes are literally a loose wire!

There's a used column on eBay for £45

I just been down this route and it was my steering rack- but I had no faults pop up on the dash and the power steering is fine, just the rack was so stiff that it struggled .

I would not recommend using a used one unless you can take it apart and renew it-imagine spending 5 hours labour on a part which might ware out again a month later.

I just been down this route and it was my steering rack- but I had no faults pop up on the dash and the power steering is fine, just the rack was so stiff that it struggled .

I would not recommend using a used one unless you can take it apart and renew it-imagine spending 5 hours labour on a part which might ware out again a month later.

Agreed. It's always worth getting a new column but it's good to know there is a cheap alternative. I'm surprised at how expensive the steering column is compared to the rack

shame they cant actually investigate it properly....might only be a simple fix....

plenty of horror stories for fiat electric steering and some of the fixes are literally a loose wire!

I am unsure of what can be done to investigate the issue, as I work in healthcare and my knowledge of mechanical work is basic I am completely vulnerable to the garage recommendations.

It would be my luck to spend £1100 on a loose wire :worried: