Sticky wipers!?

So, the wipers on my '06 197 have started to stick, stop halfway up the window etc.

It happened to me before on a '07 dci model I had so I am guessing it is a common problem?

What causes this? Is there an easy fix?

Advice appreciated,
Aaron/

Click 'User CP' on the top left of this page, then the second from bottom line on the left hand side 'paid subscriptions'.

Had the same problem last week - fixed it as the guide, but beware you dont break off the brackets - our spindles were so seized that i broke the brackets hammering the spindle out.

Works ok now though :w00t:

Right..

I looked at the guide and went ahead and stripped out the mechanism. I had a feeling that it was not the problem suggested as it was pretty free moving but I went ahead with the 'fix' anyway as it did feel a little restricted in movement.

Needless to say at this stage, it didn't fix my problem :worried:

My wipers will only work on the fastest setting and not always at that. Also, they will stop in their tracks exactly where they are when I flick the stalk off. (they dont go back to the original position like usual)

I'm thinking its either a motor problem or something to do with the auto system?

Anyone got any ideas? The exact same thing happened on my mk3 DCi so I'm guessing it's another 'common' problem.

Help greatly appreciated, it's doing my head in.

Aaron

Bit of an update on this.

Again, the wipers will only work at all on the fastest setting. When I switch to another setting, the will immediately stop wherever they are at that exact time. Here's the strange thing: When left on the fastest setting, If I stop (say in traffic), they stop. When I pull off again, they work again. This is not a lack of power causing this because if I give the car plenty of revs while stationary it does not power them back up, its the movement that seems to trigger them.

So, today, I went about getting in at the motor and having a better look. The drain plugs in the area where completely blocked so there were puddles of water under the motor. The night my problem started it was pissing rain so I'm guessing the motor/wiring got submerged and caused this.

I tried to check the power going to the wiring that goes into the plug. The results are as follows:

- The green wire is a constant live

- The first two settings on the stalk trigger no other live

- The fast setting (when it works) triggers a live on the orange wire.

- The fast setting (when it does not work) triggers no other live.

So, I have concluded it is not the motor that is the problem. Where do I go from here? Can anyone tell me where the relay is located?

If anyone has had a similar problem, please advise. I have my NCT (mot equivalent) in less than two weeks so I am really pushed to get this sorted.

Thanks,
Aaron

The wipers stopping when the car is stationary is perfectly normal. :smile:

Really? :bored:

Ok, thanks for the info dude. Now just to figure out why they are not working on the first two settings and only occasionally on the fastest setting...

EDIT: I should add that when they do stop when the car is stationary they do not park in their starting position. They usually park in the middle of the screen

Last edited:
UPDATE: I popped around to my local Renault dealer to try get a replacement wiper relay. The parts guy proceeded to tell me that there is no relay, that it is all part of the stalk/switch. I changed the stalk over from my mate's 197 and nothing, still doesn't work. So, that's that ruled out.

Has anyone here ever experienced problems with their rain sensor?

It kills me to say this but I things are starting to point toward the dreaded UCH :thumb1:

can you substitute the wiper motor?

checked all the fuses are ok and none are loose (dont forget the engine bay/ns fuse box)?

can you substitute the wiper motor?

checked all the fuses are ok and none are loose (dont forget the engine bay/ns fuse box)?

No, unfortunately not :worried: I don't want to ask my mate to pull his car apart to that extent.

This is why I think its not the motor: It works on fast (well most of the time). When checking the power inputs, one wire of four gave a constant live and one gave a live when the fast setting worked. Because no other setting works, no other wire was live even before the motor. So, I thing the problem goes deeper.

This is why I think it's not a fuse: Surely, if it was a fuse, I would not get any power going to the motor and no setting would ever work?

Any advice/help greatly appreciated.

Aaron

you should always eliminate the easiest first before fitting expensive items...

the electrical system on the clio is inter-linked on certain items so i woudlnt rule out some faulty or blown fuse

its far easier to check for a blown fuse and loose connection than the going straight for the auto-wipe unit or motor etc is it not?

you should always eliminate the easiest first before fitting expensive items...

the electrical system on the clio is inter-linked on certain items so i woudlnt rule out some faulty or blown fuse

its far easier to check for a blown fuse and loose connection than the going straight for the auto-wipe unit or motor etc is it not?

Thank for that dude, I'll check every fuse in the car as soon as I'm finished work.

Of corse. I just had ruled it out as I didn't realise the electrical system could be inter-linked.

Can anyone confirm where the fuse is for the front wipers?

I have checked every one of the 20 or so in the engine bay (under the cover beside the battery). Also, under this cover there are about 8-10 relays, where could I find out what these are for?

There is a map for the fuses that are located inside the car at the driver's knee, none of them are for the front wipers.