'Sticky' pads?

Hi,
Had my Clio 200 a couple of weeks and had this noise a couple of times now. Starting from cold, release handbrake and when I move off I get a fairly loud brake release sound (and slight resistance) then it goes. Cant tell if its from rear or front (or both). Could it be pads sticking on? Something to do with the handbrake maybe? Think I read on here its a separate handbrake drum, I asume behind the disk?

Thanks for any info (still dont know much about these cars!)
Tim

The handbrake mechanism is inside the calliper itself so there is no drum brake. Strip the rear callipers, wind the piston back in and then apply some copper slip to the pad slider plates.

The front will probs be sticking. The pad corrodes inside the calliper and seizes it up. Knock the pins out (pain in the arse, you will need new pins after) then clean the pads and the inside of the calliper. Then re assemble with copper slip on the edges of the pad and it should solve your problems.

The handbrake cables can start to seize up. You can take them off at the caliper, make a funnel with some blue tack and pore oil in, it then seeps into the cable and stops it seizing up. In this weather you can get the pads sticking on the discs, especially if they are worn, it is the metal content in the pad. So it maybe you need some new genuine pads as they have less corrosive materials in that cheap pads, a good clean and the handbrake cables lubed and your fixed. Not difficult jobs, you will need a pad wind back tool (ebay) and a couple of spanners. Same applies to the front pads as the post above. These cars need regular proper brake maintenance, as you have found out.

Properly serviced brakes with genuine parts are less likely to do this. If you calipers are more than 3 years old, they really need a good strip. They should look like new, in the pad carriers, and the pads need to be really free. Most garages rush this job, as people are not prepared to spend 3 or 4 hours doing them properly, and are not prepared to pay 4 hours labour charges either. DIY it is a good days job for someone.

Had mine serviced and they do it every single time. Just lift the clutch slowly and youll feel the front end lift, keep lifting the clutch and it will jump. Don't need to use any throttle, it shouldn't be that bad.

ok, cheers. Sounds like just a trait of the fronts then. The front pads have plenty on them and disks look good but no harm in putting new pads in I guess. Can someone point me in the direction of the recomended standard pads, seem to be quite a few options. What are these like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281178982627?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT ? Also seen some Mintex ones for only £25. Or these I guess should be OE http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-3-Brake-Pads-(Front).html . Ill prob get those pin kits off here too just for peice of mind. Not sure if ill attempt the fronts myself- hate working out in the cold at the best of times!

Last edited:
It's when you have the handbrake on and it's cold/raining it siezes in place. Mine does this after leaving it for a few days with the handbrake on.

thiscocks, sorry but your not listening, all these pads have a lot of metal in that is causing your problems, you get Renault pads from a Renault dealer, not ebay, they are £60 for the fronts and about £40 for the rears. I don't understand, how everyone wants to go fast, but they don't want to spend any money on stopping. Rant over. [emoji7]

http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-197-Brake-Pads-(Front).html

Well to be fair the mintex pads ive not seen any bad comment about them.

Which Mintex? As they make cardboard ones, as well as Race ones, with loads of metal in. Guy has said he has a problem, all I am saying is fit genuine parts, as they work, don't stick and are quiet, that is why the cars left the factory with them.

It's when you have the handbrake on and it's cold/raining it siezes in place. Mine does this after leaving it for a few days with the handbrake on.

Mine does this in this weather too. My old Fiesta ZS did the same.

Re the Mintex, I think the popular pad on here is the M1144??

Don't get me started on this one. Since I bought the car new the back brakes have seized on everytime it rains. I'm talking leaving while I'm at work for 8-9 hours or overnight. The car has been in the equivalent of about 3 weeks on and off but they never listen to you and keep moving it every few hours and say "there's nothing wrong". Living on a hill this has ###### my clutch so I've got to replace it after 10000 miles. I walked out in the end after the receptionist said this was normal on all Renault sports! Mine even stick with the handbrake off as well

Last edited: