Steering creaking 200t

Leeg320

Gold Member
Hi

Hope someone may be able to help. Only today when I turn my steering wheel that I have noticed that it is creaking a little. It's not affected the handling or anything as it is really annoying. I can only describe it as like standing on a squeaking floorboard. I don't think it is anything serious and it might just need some lube or something.

Anyone else had this issue or think what it may be.

I'd not noticed before as I usually have my tunes on.

Lower hub swivel bearing is on its way out.

You can get replacement bearings from R Sport In Wimbledon: Tel: 0208 5420042

Normal dealer will tell you you need to replace the whole hub and they can't get the bearing on its own. Rsport supply the Clio Cup teams and can supply you with just the bearing

Lower hub swivel bearing is on its way out.

You can get replacement bearings from R Sport In Wimbledon: Tel: 0208 5420042

Normal dealer will tell you you need to replace the whole hub and they can't get the bearing on its own. Rsport supply the Clio Cup teams and can supply you with just the bearing

These go on the 200t also?

I was going to post about the hub but didn't cos I didn't know if it were such an issue on the 200t.

Thanks for your reply chaps. It's all under warranty so I'll have it in. A little disappointed if it is a hub. It only got 4k on the clock-!

Through seeing Clio 4 coming through the dealer more frequently, I would hazard a guess and say it's the strut top bearing. Only a guess: and if it is, you've a long wait for one...have a few customers and there's has been back order since mid-July!

I just got a new steering rack symptoms were a crunching it's now ok but the clonk clonk on right left turns is still there and it sounds like what was described above as a strut top bearing , dealer has had a go at it a few times but they are pissed of with me moaning and I'm reluctant to say what it might be as the last time I mentioned something the guys reply was what do you know about cars
so any way that's it booked in and at dealers again
am I ever going to get to drive my car without faults as it's never out the dealers

I just got a new steering rack symptoms were a crunching it's now ok but the clonk clonk on right left turns is still there and it sounds like what was described above as a strut top bearing , dealer has had a go at it a few times but they are pissed of with me moaning and I'm reluctant to say what it might be as the last time I mentioned something the guys reply was what do you know about cars
so any way that's it booked in and at dealers again
am I ever going to get to drive my car without faults as it's never out the dealers

As I say, if it's a strange noise turning lock to lock then it's more than likely a strut top bearing. That's all we've really had to replace under warranty on the Clio 4's. I can't understand the attitude of some dealers, you'd think they weren't getting paid for warranty work the way some get on!

As I say, if it's a strange noise turning lock to lock then it's more than likely a strut top bearing. That's all we've really had to replace under warranty on the Clio 4's. I can't understand the attitude of some dealers, you'd think they weren't getting paid for warranty work the way some get on!

Yea my first impression a while back was that it sounded and felt like the spring just coming out of the stop and then going back in but when the rack went it thought it would solve the problem but it's still there , sometimes it doesn't do it for a few turns then you hear it boing ing out then boing back in sometimes quietly and others a large creak so not to easy to find when mechanic only allowed 5 mins to test and only allowed to drive it around the block
it is worse when doing uphill right left turns as the hill seems to strain it more
hopefully they find it this time as I'm eventually getting to the end of the faults list
i got a new r-link unit after mine went bricked and it seems to have fixed most of the electrical problems at the moment apart from when opening the boot the hazards get activated and you need to push switch to turn them of

Yea my first impression a while back was that it sounded and felt like the spring just coming out of the stop and then going back in but when the rack went it thought it would solve the problem but it's still there , sometimes it doesn't do it for a few turns then you hear it boing ing out then boing back in sometimes quietly and others a large creak so not to easy to find when mechanic only allowed 5 mins to test and only allowed to drive it around the block
it is worse when doing uphill right left turns as the hill seems to strain it more
hopefully they find it this time as I'm eventually getting to the end of the faults list
i got a new r-link unit after mine went bricked and it seems to have fixed most of the electrical problems at the moment apart from when opening the boot the hazards get activated and you need to push switch to turn them of

Poor service on the dealers part again. As mentioned I work at a main dealers too and must say and test drive our techs do is at least 5miles. The strut top bearing noise in the Clio 4 is easily replicated, unless it's a completely different noise! But the noise you described is exactly how I would describe it.

I'd say one of our courtesy cars in work has gone through at least 3 o/s/f strut top bearings and it's less than 7,000 miles!