Steering column knock - possibly u-joint behind pedals?

tchalikias

Paid Member
So now that the weather is getting warmer, this "steering column knocking when stationary or maneuvering at slow speeds" problem has come back in force.

A more detailed description of the problem: when stationary of moving at slow speeds, I get frequent, slightly audible knocks felt through the steering wheel. I think the warmer the outside temperature, the more pronounced they are. I had almost forgotten about this during the winter.

Something else I've noticed:while stationary, turning the steering wheel half a turn to the left (or more) and then turning it again by half a turn to the right (this happens a lot during parking maneuvers) will produce a knock at about 45 degrees to the right, you can clearly feel it on the steering wheel and sometimes it can also be heard as a muffled clunk. If you try to reproduce the knock you have to turn the steering wheel again half a turn or more to the left and then to the right again.

An initial check on a ramp has proven fruitless - everything looks to be in order in the front. Also, apart from this, steering feels as good as ever, and there is no change in the car's behavior whatsoever or pulling to one side etc.

I believe the knock originates at the u-joint behind the pedals,where the steering column meets the steering rack. Is there an easy way to confirm this part is the culprit? Any 200 owners out there that had this u-joint replaced?

Thanks in advance!

I've got a slight knock in my 197. Going to try changing inner tie rods. I spun out one evening and mounted a kerb, and hit the front driver's side wheel. There's a tiny bit of play in it, and I also get the knocking feeling when turning the wheel at very low speeds.

I've managed to score a set of inner tie rods made for a Toyota Cressida (exact same dimensions, but with bigger ball joints) which can be bought brand new for 1/20th (not a typo!) of the price of the Renault oem ones...

Going to try having them fitted next weekend. If they don't last as long... Well I'll just buy a new set (around the equivalent of £6 in our currency... Vs £140)

Will let you know if it works!
Peace

Yup tighten the pinch bolt pal it may look and feel tight but I bet you can get 2 or 3 turns on it with a 13mm spanner.

I have the same issue. Where is this bolt located? The only Nut i could see under the pedals was a torx type nut.

The clunk in my car seems to be coming from the top of the rack rather then the pedals

The clunk I had did actually sound higher up. It was as described above. Maneuvering, turn wheel from side to side and in went clunk clunk clunk. To be honest the local garage did mine. Only took him 2 mins. Sorry I can't be more help.

Id also be interested to know where this bolt is located, I have a 197 and a 200, and they both have a distant plasticy sort of clunk when returning the steering from full lock left when at a standstill.

I had the same problem which was cured after replacing the link that connects the column and the rack. Warranty job. Must be this joint you are talking about mate because like yours, my steering was fine. It was really obvious when stationary though.

I take it that you've checked track rods, rod ends etc right? If sorting out the link won't cure it then I'm afraid there is a great possibility to be the rack. It's one of the car's weak points.

I had that clamp removed, and replaced with bonding agent to stop any movement under warranty last week....

Low and behold, its still clonking

I still haven't gotten around to dealing with this problem due to a lack of spare time. However, it has definitely gotten worse now that ambient temperatures have reached 30 degrees celsius. It seems ton recede in cold weather...

I remembered today that when it started, a year or so ago, the clunk noise/vibration occured when reversing and turning the steering wheel. Only later did this start happening in other scenarios (even stationary). I wonder whether this points to the column, ujoint or rack as the culprit... Also, the same noise/clunk can sometimes be felt when one wheel drops off a kerb/ramp with the other wheel still on top of it, like there's movement/play somewhere along the steering mechanism that produces the noise/vibration. At the same time, the steering feels fine - no vagueness etc. Weird...

I'll have to take my 200 to the dealer next week - hopefully they can pinpoint the source of the problem.

Hi mate only just seen the thread you started, from your detailed description I am having exactly the same issues with the steering even down to the slight clunk when dropping off the drive etc.

I have got the car booked in for a new rack but wondering if it is either the column or PAS system now as the steering is becoming more vauge and tighter and low speed.

Hi mate only just seen the thread you started, from your detailed description I am having exactly the same issues with the steering even down to the slight clunk when dropping off the drive etc.

I have got the car booked in for a new rack but wondering if it is either the column or PAS system now as the steering is becoming more vauge and tighter and low speed.

This happened to mine mate and was the rack so hopefully you will have sorted it

This happened to mine mate and was the rack so hopefully you will have sorted it

Thanks mate you have put my mind slightly at rest there. The rack is relatively cheap fix for saying it comes withe new rods and rod ends but the PAS and column is ridiculous!

Thanks mate you have put my mind slightly at rest there. The rack is relatively cheap fix for saying it comes withe new rods and rod ends but the PAS and column is ridiculous!

look on ebay....they arent dealer expensive!

look on ebay....they arent dealer expensive!

Yh good call still dont want to be forking out £400 on a steering rack then another £400 on the power steering unit, and thats before fitting. Car has only done 30k miles, madness!

Thats crazy hardly worth getting it fixed if its only going to last between 10-30k miles!

Did yours just knock mitch or did the steering feel vague as well?

Well I went around a long bend and it felt a bit weird and then the next day it started knocking a low speeds and over bumps, steering did feel a bit strange

Well I went around a long bend and it felt a bit weird and then the next day it started knocking a low speeds and over bumps, steering did feel a bit strange

Sounds similar to mine but difficult to know if its the rack itself as the knock is felt through the column and steering seems to be vague when pressing on and heavier than before when parking etc.