Diagnosing steering rack/column knock?

TB Rich

Paid Member
Hi,

Not sure if I am being overly paranoid or not, but I am concerned that I could have a rack/column issue which appears to be a common issue on these cars (200 Cup)? If I am stationary (engine running so no steering lock) and wiggle the wheel from left to right I hear a clunking noise, it's pretty loud to be honest and sounds from inside the car rather than outside (certainly the engine noise seems to drown it out at least if listening from outside). - I assume this is not something it should do?! I don't ever really notice or feel anything when driving, just very occasionally at low speed I get a hint of the noise.

Appreciate any help and suggestions for things I can try and look at myself, I've read that it could be either the rack or a column U-joint or something, but could do with some advice? I have a couple of months 3rd party warranty remaining so I'm hoping it'll be covered and ideally I can point to the issue first and save any ham-fisted garage mechs pulling stuff apart in vain!

I also appear to have the mysterious left front clonk too, but I have searched and found a number of things to check on that. Oh and the rear knocking I have too, expected boot lock issue!

It's only got 14.5k on a 59 plate so kind of wasn't expecting any issues! Obviously been too long since I owned a French car :smile:

Cheers all,
Rich.

Wheel bolts are tight as I had the wheels off for cleaning the other week and I went around and torqued them up, shaft nuts not specifically checked though. I'd have thought unlikely unless it's a known thing on Clio's? The steering noise seems to be generated inside or at least much more audible from inside anyway.

Would RUK even listen though as the car is out of warranty with Renault themselves?

It IS a bolt on the column that has worked loose, it just needs over tightening and gluing in place.

I have forgotten the exact bolt but i can find out if you want me too, it also affected the MK2 megane.

should sound like this?

[video=youtube;wfyEQKAYy1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfyEQKAYy1I[/video]

Reactions: Lownds197
Like mentalpen Said. The nut at the bottom of the rack near the carpet caused the noise on mine.

Its the bolt on the UJ for sure! More specifically there is a flat area on the rack spline that comes through the footwell that the pinch bolt on the bottom of the column UJ clamps against.

If it isnt super-tight with turning force it can move slightly and cause the knock. I have tightened mine and greased the whole area up, its better but still does it occasionally. The only 100% fix may be a new UJ column or to bond or glue it, not sure how this is done though.

Yep that's the noise! I'll get a socket on the offending nut tomorrow and see. If it works I'll whip it off completely and then apply some thread lock and hopefully that one is fixed. (and then on to the others! :smile:)

Cheers guys :thumbup:

But the shagged rack tends to make the noise when going near full lock, not through slight movement.

TB Rich please take photos showing each step of what you do and then upload it with a guide as it will help others fit theirs in future :wink:

So I had a quick look and found a nut (13mm) on a joint at the bottom of the column in the pedal area - which I assume is the culprit? I didn't have much time and the I only had a fairly small 13mm ratchet spanner on me, so the amount of torque I could generate with that was low,,,but, it seemed pretty damn tight?

Anyone know what the correct torque setting should be? I have a torque wrench but access seems a bit limited as the carpet seems to cover most of it.

Cheers.

It needs over-tightening by some margin from what I can gather and gluing.

Well I took the car in, and the column needs replacing! It's covered under warranty with the garage so just need to make sure it's an OE Renault part that's fitted. I told them I'd pay the difference if they were planning on using a 3rd party item anyway. Probably a silly thing to say but a Clio needs to steer right as thats the whole point of the car really, certainly no straight line warrior!

I did ask them to look at the front knocking noise too but they couldn't find anything wrong, I did mention top mounts as a common one however they said OK. Is there another component that I can direct them to when the column is being done?

Cheers.

I wonder if they will replace the entire column or just the shaft connecting the PAS motor to the steering rack (which makes more sense, financially speaking). The entire column costs more than 3,000 euros IIRC if bought from Renault

It needs over-tightening by some margin from what I can gather and gluing.

I think your confusing the two ends of the colum uj.

Were it connects to the rack itself is bolted so needs to be tight and possibly thread locked.

The two halves of the shaft, the lower half fits inside the upper half is bonded/glued together and I recall someone on here having a problem with that and needing a new part.

I wonder if they will replace the entire column or just the shaft connecting the PAS motor to the steering rack (which makes more sense, financially speaking). The entire column costs more than 3,000 euros IIRC if bought from Renault

Well I'm assuming the garage have had a price from Renault for a column as they have now asked me to take the car to Renault for further diagnosis (at their expense).

Guess they are hoping it'll be the UJ only that needs replacing, which is the part that contains the bushing that wears I think I've read.

I think your confusing the two ends of the colum uj.

Were it connects to the rack itself is bolted so needs to be tight and possibly thread locked.

The two halves of the shaft, the lower half fits inside the upper half is bonded/glued together and I recall someone on here having a problem with that and needing a new part.

Hi 930,

Don't suppose you have a diagram of the steering rack/column and components?

Cheers,