Staying in London

Just looking for some advice really. I've got a training course in London next month and I'm just looking for peoples opinions on where to stay/how to get there. I figured maybe a local member or someone that's stayed in the area before might have some useful tips.

The training course is in SW1H 9BP, right next door to Buckingham Palace. It runs for a couple of days from 9am-5pm so I'll travel down the night before.

Questions:
Is there anywhere reasonably priced to stay in SW1H?
Is there anywhere to Park?
Would you just take the Train/Tube down instead and leave the car at home?

If I can get a Hotel nearby I can walk/get a taxi to the venue, I don't really mind, but TBH I hate relying on public transport so would really rather drive if possible.

Hotel Budget realistically I would think is £200 (ambitious?) - £300/£350 for two nights. Not including meals.

Any advice welcome. :thumbup:

Parking around SW1 is tight, not to mention you would have to pay the congestion charge for driving through central London. It would probably work out cheaper driving and paying the CG than getting the train.

I'll dig out a couple of places for you to stay Rob that won't mean you have to sell a kidney.

Let us know what dates your down and I'll see what my diary is like and could do some beers if you have the time.

Good shout, but that place is booked up on the nights I want (22-24th April). No wonder its booked, the rooms look great for £100pn inc breakfast. I've paid that for Travel Lodges before :smiley:

Parking around SW1 is tight, not to mention you would have to pay the congestion charge for driving through central London. It would probably work out cheaper driving and paying the CG than getting the train.

I'll dig out a couple of places for you to stay Rob that won't mean you have to sell a kidney.

Let us know what dates your down and I'll see what my diary is like and could do some beers if you have the time.

Sounds good man. I'm there 22nd-24th April. Just looked and a return train down there is looking like £55 from Sheffield and I can walk/get a taxi to some of the local hotels easily enough, I doubt I'll need the car while I'm there so might be the better option. Its more so convenience I'm worried about than costs, its all paid for by work anyway, and if I drive I'll actually fetch the SportVan lol :smiley:

Sounds good man. I'm there 22nd-24th April. Just looked and a return train down there is looking like £55 from Sheffield and I can walk/get a taxi to some of the local hotels easily enough, I doubt I'll need the car while I'm there so might be the better option. Its more so convenience I'm worried about than costs, its all paid for by work anyway, and if I drive I'll actually fetch the SportVan lol :smiley:

Thats a decent price for the train bloody hell! What station does that go to? I hate driving in Central its a bloody nightmare. The top notch hotels have parking but then your talkign £300+ a night.

Just digging out the hotel name now for you and its less than half a mile away from Bucky Palace.

Whenever I'm down in London it's usually to see mates so I just crash at theirs, so I can't comment on where to stay.

But....
I'd definitely recomend taking the train down there and using the tube to get about or take a bicycle with you.
As has been said, if you drive you'll have to pay the congestion charge then you've got to find somewhere to park which will be expensive.
Not to mention the fact that driving anywhere takes an age. I once drove from South Kensington to Holland Park (about 3 miles) and it took three hours!

Adds a lot more stress to the situation if you drive!

Thanks for all the advise guys, huge help :smile:.

That train is Sheffield - LDN Victoria Gam. Think it has one transfer, pretty handy really. I think I'll just have to give up on the van and go this way and get a taxi to the venue, too much of a ball ache to drive/park etc.

Gotcha, ok mate well let us know if you have any spare time and I'll hop hop on the tube over there.

Will do buddy, just got our admin to book me that hotel, thanks. I'll give you a shout closer to the date, hopefully I'll have some time on Tuesday afternoon. I'll probs be heading back up north on Wednesday after the course finishes (about 6pm).

As it's been said car is a no no, congestion charging, traffic and parking is a nightmare. Public transport, especially on weekdays is brilliant, you won't have any issues whatsoever mate, loads of tube stations around, loads of lines operating.

I can't comment on hotels I'm afraid mate because I've always lived in London but booking.com is your best friend. Loads of options for less than your budget. I lived in several areas in central LDN in the last 7 years (notting hill, holland park, knightsbridge, maida vale, st johns wood the lot lol), however I have recently moved to North ldn to be closer to work, otherwise you could have easily stayed at mine:worried:

Anyhow, if you have time when you are around drop me an email, I'm sure you could do with some drinks after the course lol

Yep, I think it's going to be public transport all the way. I've driven round London a few occasions with work and its never a pleasure. But I feel lost without my own transport lol.

Hopefully I'll get some time on the Tuesday and we could all grab a beer, I'm going to be there either way so if you and Gam are free it would be nice to put some faces to names. :smile: