197: Start up/exhaust noise bit of a let down?

Dont know if id touch janspeed....the quality of the manifold on my 106gti was appalling. Both fitment and material used

i want an exhaust for mine too, but i'll wait for a second hand one to turn up. out of interest, are 197 and 200 units interchangeable?

thanks, stu.

I love the standard exhaust on them, I park mine in the garage and it is pretty quiet when it is started from cold, however putting it away when it is warm (hot :wink:) it is a lot more noisy and sounds immense IMO. Now that the weather is better I had the windows down and it has a lovely note to it.

I love the standard exhaust on them, I park mine in the garage and it is pretty quiet when it is started from cold, however putting it away when it is warm (hot :wink:) it is a lot more noisy and sounds immense IMO. Now that the weather is better I had the windows down and it has a lovely note to it.

Totally agree. Love the noise on the back roads!

im all turned around on the matter, i've only had my 197 for 4 days and its getting better mile by mile

Almost hit the red line today for the first time...

Only thing I wish the clio did when starting up is the needle sweep, that makes me smile every time no matter what car it's in. The exhaust note for me is fine, drive down the motorway with the radio off and think, if it were any louder, wouldn't it just get annoying?

I too think the standard exhaust sounds good from inside, but outside it sounds like a leccy toothbrush. Thats why I went aftermarket.

Last edited:
Lol I don't think there was I time I drove mine when I didn't hit the limiter

I was gonna make a thread about how often do you hit the limiter... i guess i need to warm it up & take it onto the motorway in second gear & just go for it, driving to work in the morning traffic its a tad hard to get the gear change light on :wink:

Just thinking back there are a number of times when I have been asked if it is an aftermarket exhaust on mine. Jase and Adrian asked at the Save Donington Meet last year and Gazeratti asked the other week. Also loads of other passengers have asked too so it must sound good! :wink:

Only thing I wish the clio did when starting up is the needle sweep, that makes me smile every time no matter what car it's in. The exhaust note for me is fine, drive down the motorway with the radio off and think, if it were any louder, wouldn't it just get annoying?

Id like needle sweep too!