Squeaking from brakes

Phenom

Paid Member
I've got a almost constant very loud squeak coming from my rear drivers side. I'm pretty sure its something to do with the brakes as the rare chance i get in the car and its not squeaking but it is guaranteed to start at some point in my drive if I hit a slight bump or stamp the stop pedal a bit too hard.

about 1000 miles ago replaced discs with the Godspeed G hook discs, new genuine pads and my driver side rear caliper with a refurb as it was seized.

the problem was slightly intermittent before that but it has got worse and worse as time has gone on.

the squeaking noise gets worse when I'm turning left
there is no noise when turning right or reversing.
squeak will be slightly quieter if the car has been parked facing uphill or with the drivers side parked up a curb.

at first i thought i had warped a disc but because it doesnt make the noise all the time I think that not the case? unless I'm wrong here?

what else can be the cause of the noise?

Thanks in advance

**will add video of noise after work if needed

best strip and check the brakes...them put a chamfer on the edges of the pads to stop the issue

Reactions: Phenom
Similar problems here too @Phenom, let me know how you get on!

Normally get squeaking from the rear when turning round tight rights & lefts! Has done this ever since I changed the rear discs!

Reactions: Phenom
Weather hasn't been nice enough for me to get the jack out and start rolling around on the floor.

Saturday is looking good so will give it a go then and will update on results

Reactions: RossWoods93
So as the sun was out this afternoon I decided to give it a go after work...

I now don't think it's my brakes making the noise as I chamfered my pads and put new shims/pad fitting kits on as I might as well only part of the brake that hadn't been replaced at this point but the noise is the same.

Wish my brain was working enough to give the disc a spin when it had no caliper on it.

Got a video of the noise after I put it back together as I gave up. Maybe bearing?

As i understand the wheel bearing is in disc brake, so the noise shouldn't be a failed bearing after 1000 miles? but don't have anymore ideas.

Normally get squeaking from the rear when turning round tight rights & lefts! Has done this ever since I changed the rear discs!

is your noise the same as mine posted in the video?

So as the sun was out this afternoon I decided to give it a go after work...

I now don't think it's my brakes making the noise as I chamfered my pads and put new shims/pad fitting kits on as I might as well only part of the brake that hadn't been replaced at this point but the noise is the same.

Wish my brain was working enough to give the disc a spin when it had no caliper on it.

Got a video of the noise after I put it back together as I gave up. Maybe bearing?

Pretty much spot on to what I’m hearing yes! Squealing constantly like that round tight-ish corners... perfectly fine going straight!

Pretty much spot on to what I’m hearing yes! Squealing constantly like that round tight-ish corners... perfectly fine going straight!

I'm going to take it round my local garage this evening or tomorrow if they aren't too busy see if they can find out what it is, as my car knowledge has run out now and don't have a single idea of what to try next.

Will update with what my garage say if they manage to squeeze enough time to have a look

Reactions: RossWoods93
So never made it to the garage due to me being busy when they weren't and them being busy when I wasn't.

But I'm sure I've found what's making the noise. As I had everything off the disc again this evening and when putting pressure at the bottom of the ABS sensor and spinning the disc it didn't squeak, so I sprayed a bit of brake cleaner under the sensor and squeak gone for now atleast.

My question now is: is the abs sensor meant to be straight? I don't really know how to explain it but it's like my abs sensor has 2-3° of camber is this normal or not?

So it's the bracket holding the ABS sensor that is the issue it looked like it rusted away a bit and bent towards the disc slightly.
ZcPN8JTr.jpg
For now I hammered back the bottom where you can see it was obvious it was rubbing to stop the noise so the car is actually drivable.

And now to find a cheap place to order some because the other side can't be too much better.