Squeak from front left wheel assembly that stops when brakes are applied.

DanB720

Gold Member
Over the past few weeks my car has developed a squeak from front left wheel assembly. At first I though it may just be a stone in there and it will eventually fall out.

However the squeak disappears when applying the brakes and when the wheel is turning.

Any ideas as to what this might be? I'm going to have the wheel off at the weekend to have a better look but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Seized pad, all to common unfortunately. The calipers need a good clean/strip down every year or so. You may also find that you pads are ruined too when you take them out.

They were a new set of DS2500 in Febuary. Covered about 3k on them, will be rather annoyed if they are ruined. I'll have them out at the weekend and check.

Doubt the pads are ruined, they'll just need taking out and a bit of copper slip on them. There's good guides in the How To if you're not familiar with it.

Know anyone around Wales who can refurb mine for me on the day? Not too caring about the painting but after my recent experiences with Renault I really can't be bothered with them.

Shouldn't be too bad if they were out in Feb. But always worth doing front and rear.

Doubt the pads are ruined, they'll just need taking out and a bit of copper slip on them. There's good guides in the How To if you're not familiar with it.

I'm only going by my experience as when I did mine the inside pad on both sides was ruined and basically fell apart once out of the caliper. Strange thing was that they felt fine.

Shouldn't be too bad if they were out in Feb. But always worth doing front and rear.

I'm only going by my experience as when I did mine the inside pad on both sides was ruined and basically fell apart once out of the caliper. Strange thing was that they felt fine.

I've just had new pads about 4 weeks ago, the brakes squeek like a bitch. Any ideas?

Yep, mine were the same, once they were out they weren't going back in. But if they're only been in 6months and done 3k they "should" be fine you would hope.

Noisy brakes are the result of poor maintenance, and poor fitting of pads. Fitting pads properly is a good 2 hour job, once a year. A dealer rarely does a proper job especially on an older car. The calipers start to corrode and make the pads go tight in the guides. A good clean and strip once a year is compulsory on these brakes. If done properly you will not have problems with seized pads or seized pins. The rears are as bad and the rear pads go tight in the sliders. Free brakes are good for fuel consumption. Chances are as well running with tight pads causes them to de laminate, so even if they were only fitted 3 months previously if they have been squealing chances are the pads have started to break up. These are my own findings after buying 2 Clio 200s that had been dealer serviced. I now have it dealer serviced and service my own brakes as in their words it is not in the service schedule and is a separate service at extra cost.

if you fit new pads to old discs its also worth chamfering the edges of the pad material so it beds in better and faster to the wear ridge of the disc...

This is bad news. I'd rather take it to someone who knows what they're doing but people like this are hard to come by in S. Wales. They all seem to be in England. I've never even jacked a car up because I'm scared of doing it wrong! Lmao.