So 15 mins Or Hours? Front spring change!!

Hi chaps. Ive got some H&R springs coming and I've read some posts on this forum and it seems it could be fairly easy. Or a complete b***h?

I know the rears are easy but it's the fronts I'm not so sure about.

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

i had mine done by mark fish, and it took them 3.5 hours although this was with alot of chatting about racing next year mixed in.

personally id pay someone to do it.... at least if something goes wrong after you have a fall back on them.

My spanner skills are ok. The reason I asked the question was I read a thread with two guys talking about the front spring change.. One seemed to think it was simple. The other took hours..
Both seemed quite competent. Reading the thread lead to me ask the question is the shocks on a F1 197 slightly shorter than a standard 197?

One of them was talking about just being able to remove the shock without removing the hub carrier. The other seemed to have about 5mm of clearance he couldn't quite get. Thus leading to removal of the hub and all the lower suspension..

Cheers

i think if you remove the tie rods and the drop links you can push the arm down just low enough to get the shock out of its holder. Thats what they did with mine. But they had to remove the hub nut and tap the drive shafts loose in order to get that extra bit of clearence to get the shock out.

its all perfectly doable by yourself. i personally wouldnt though unless you have proper torqe wrenches as there are specific settings for every bolt in the hub assembly area

Had mine done by garage who said the front suspension is a ******* to do..!!! Cost about £120 but that comes with no stress...!!!

Did it myself and wrote a guide on here, complete bitch of a job! I think the cup shocks might be shorter which could explain why some people don't have such big issues

Hi Ben cheers for your reply.

This is kind of what I was wondering.

I think the way to tackle it is see if I can get the shock out without spending to much time on it.

Monitor the swearing levels!!

Cheers.

paid head technician at work to do it. cost me £30 and a pint

took him about 1.5 hours