Should have realised sooner...

So, had the 197 for 2 weeks now and today the penny dropped!

Before this car, the only performance car I've had long enough to adjust to driving was my 1.6T Corsa SRi. That was quick and felt it near enough from the start. Because its a torquey car and the turbo kicked in at 3k rpm, it near enough flew straight away.

So getting into the 197, I knew they are quick cars and I've always loved them! But because of the lack of torque, you don't exactly get that rush that you do from a turbo'd car. I was starting to wonder why so many people really rate them as 'the best hot hatch around'.....then I realised.

On the way to work on nights tonight, I go down some really lovely twisty lanes, so I thought I'll have abit of a spirited drive, and MY GOD....the penny dropped!

It's what I'd call a screamer....you really don't feel the power up until about 5-8k, then when you keep it in that power band, it's amazing to drive! So responsive to everything you do, and just never EVER loses grip!!!

I was driving it how I would drive a turbo'd car, and I just wasn't getting the response I was hoping for...then treated it how it should be and BOOM, it's a whole different animal. I found myself going into work and when asked 'how's the new car?' the really was simply....'I love it! I actually LOVE it!'

So made up with it and, as a car I've wanted for so long, it's definitely lived up to my expectations and far far surpassed them!

So moral of the story....learn to drive the car how it should be before making judgment :smile:

I have just changed to an R26. Great car and very fast but... I do miss the fun factor i used to get out of my 197. It just shows you do not need lots of power and a turbo to have fun. I have never had a car that gets me as excited as my 197 did. The handling is outstanding and when you keep it above 5K revs its awesome. You have to drive one to believe how good they are. Back to the Clio next time i change! Had a few Renaults in my time and have to say also the build quality is tops too, by far the best from the brand.

Last edited:
Glad you've found the sweet spot mate. They love to rev and like you say, if you keep them on the boil they're just incredible.

Handling wise, I don't think I've driven anything with as much outright grip and responsiveness. Including Imprezas.

I knew it wasn't just me :wink: cheers guys...

It's just a completely different experience to a turbo'd car, I'd say the only downside is, because it's not a turbo, it's not as easy to get a lot more power out of it. But IMO you don't need all the extra power when it handles like it does :smile:

its great and plenty of fun "on cam"!!!!

i regularly go to the buttertubs and on the way is the b6160.....a ribbon of tarmac lined by drystone walls....2nd and 3rd gear corners just so exciting blasting from corner to corner :thumbup:

As ive said before, I have a 265 trophy and a 200.

The trophy will leave to 200 for dead but when it comes to fun it's the other way round.

You get out what you put in.

It took me a couple of weeks to find the sweet spot but when i did.

WOW!!

I'd test driven a good few cars before deciding on mine but must have only been reving them to about 5/5.5k ;/

I agree but the problem is not many like driving cars on the limit. With better low down torque means you could drive quick without the speed (if that makes sense). Real rush driving on cam but not always great on public roads. High revs normally mean high speed...and you have to drive like you stole it which can bring unwanted attention.

Last edited:
Straight line IMO you won't get the thrill and obvious low down pull/torque of a turbo car. It's the chassis for me that puts any of the Clio Cup marques above it's rivals. Enjoy the top end power you get from the NA revvy engine. :cloud9:

You summed it up perfectly, once it's up there above 5k on the right road mine feels pretty much unvincible.

I'm lucky in that my commute is 26 miles each way of perfect empty country roads, so I get to stretch its legs pretty much at will.

:thumbup:

I've actually started leaving the rear seats folded down every now and then recently as the standard exhaust noise goes up a notch or two :oops:

Only reason I bought the trophy was they were ditching the na engine.

Only reason I kept the 200 was I still wanted the na engine.

Best of both worlds solution imo

I agree but the problem is not many like driving cars on the limit. With better low down torque means you could drive quick without the speed (if that makes sense). Real rush driving on cam but not always great on public roads. High revs normally mean high speed...and you have to drive like you stole it which can bring unwanted attention.

High revs do normally mean high speed but you will be going far faster in a turbo car to feel the same thrill so I find that although I am going quickly, it is nowhere near as quickly as I used to go when I had a turbo.

I have had this conversation soooooo many times when trying to explain the joy of my car. I really don't care how fast it is in a straight line, I just don't need to slow down much for corners.

Agree, but on country twisty lanes you can keep it in the perfect range and have loads of fun without attracting attention. These cars were made for the bends!