Sean's Red 200

Sean197

RIP Albi :( Hello Red 200 :)
So, 4 years after the heartbreak of my old meglio 197- https://clio197.net/threads/seans-197t-rip-albi.50795/ - I'm finally back in a Clio.
I began looking for another towards the end of last year, and very nearly bought a storm grey 200 which is on here (forget the guy's name). After that fell through I had my heart set on a white 197, but after seeing so many overpriced piles of shit (197's are 'rare' apparently) I decided to go for a 200.
I stumbled across this one, and after exchanging emails with the guy (a Jap car parts dealer) it became clear he didn't really know what he had. So being the nice guy I am, I decided to low-ball the fuck out of him with the usual 'it'll need the belts done and probably the ball joints, and the flexis will no doubt need looked at and the gearboxes are made of chocolate'. I therefore battered him down to sub 4k and got delivery thrown in. Now, having a garage full of parts salvaged from my old albi, I did something which I'd never recommend anyone doing: I bought it and had it delivered without actually seeing it in person. This went against all my car-buying knowledge and instincts, but I knew I had the bits to fix anything wrong and tbh the price was too good to turn down.

As it arrived in early May:
20210513_114859.jpg
20210603_205224.jpg

On initial inspection, it needs rear discs and pads, which I had anyway, and there was a scuff mark on the driver's door handle. This has since been covered by adding carbon-look handle covers:
20210623_194839.jpg
I'm not particularly keen on these but I do quite like the look so I'll either take a mold from these and make real carbon covers or skin the originals in carbon.
It also has an aftermarket exhaust which actually sounds decent but I'll get the diffuser off and have a proper look to find out the make.
So far in 6 weeks I've only driven it around 100 miles but a few observations;

1. The chassis is mega, just as I remembered. I'll be fitting my old B14s just to get it sitting lower but medium to long term I'll go for gaz golds or yellowspeeds for adjustability.
2. The standard engine is awful for anything other than full-on balls-out driving. I'll therefore be binning it before the year is out for either a forged 225 or 250 engine. At least 350bhp is the goal. All the work bar wiring and the ecu will be done by me as this isn't my daily driver.

Last edited:
Yes Sean! Finally back where you belong mate.
Looks great, can't wait to see where you take it, also good work haggling haha.

Reactions: Sean197
It also came with Team Dynamics wheels and practically brand new Uniroyal Rainsport 5's, which I have to say are brilliant. I'm in two minds whether to sell these or keep them as winter/track wheels but either way my old cup racer speedlines will be powdercoated black and fitted.
So far the only changes I've made have been a few carbon bits and pieces. I've done the interior dash trim in Composite Envisions 'Red Reflections' carbon, and exterior mirror trims, gear surround, speaker surrounds in standard Easy Composites 2x2 carbon.

Dash trims:
20210610_160932.jpg
20210623_192834.jpg
20210623_192847.jpg
20210623_192906.jpg

Gear surround:
20210518_203502.jpg

Speaker trims (you can see the plain carbon dash trims in the last pic which have since been sold):
20210524_203213.jpg
20210603_180803.jpg
20210603_180811.jpg

Mirror trims:
20210623_194748.jpg
20210623_194805.jpg

Attachments

• 20210623_193201.jpg
    20210623_193201.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A few bits in progress:

20210623_193201.jpg

20210623_193144.jpg

20210623_193137.jpg
20210623_201054.jpg

I plan on doing the door handles, various switch surrounds, and the heater control console in carbon too.
I've done a few bits and pieces of carbon skinning for other people, mostly small to medium sized trim pieces. I've started an Instagram page and am following most people on here - https://www.instagram.com/eden.carbon/

The plans over the next few weeks are to get the new discs and pads fitted all round, then to rebuild and refurb my old brembos and rear calipers with new pistons and seals then spray them yellow to break up the red a little.

I also plan on another little vanity purchase:
Screenshot_20210510-094746_Samsung Internet.jpg

That's pretty much it so far, I'll keep this updated as I go.
Thanks for looking.

TLDR: man's bought a clio.

Awesome Sean. Good to see you back with another Clio. This one no doubt will be awesome. Lets see what engine plans happen with this one, Properly sized turbo and keep some revs would be perfect.

Jesus 4 years!! Where’s that gone eh….?

Your old build was the inspiration for my car mate. Can’t wait to see where this one ends up.

Jesus 4 years!! Where’s that gone eh….?

Your old build was the inspiration for my car mate. Can’t wait to see where this one ends up.

Nice one. If it ends up half as sorted as yours I'll be happy.

Have you considered SC'ing Sean this time round (seeing as you have said you are going 350bhp, so will need forging the F4RT anyways?)

Have you considered SC'ing Sean this time round (seeing as you have said you are going 350bhp, so will need forging the F4RT anyways?)

Not a route I'm interested in, I loved the easy torque of the megane engine and want to get away from having to ring its neck to get it going. Going turbo makes it much easier to use on the road and with the right turbo and cams it'll still rev to 7k.

Reactions: Big Ben and suj
Not a route I'm interested in, I loved the easy torque of the megane engine and want to get away from having to ring its neck to get it going. Going turbo makes it much easier to use on the road and with the right turbo and cams it'll still rev to 7k.

Yeah totally fair, everyone has preferences of what they prefer.
I just thought I'd ask as 4 years ago hardly anyone had a SCd one, but the kits are getting available and the understanding is better for how far they can be pushed.

Can't really go wrong with either, so will be great

Pardon my French, but the guy who owned this car before me needs a good hard kick in the c#nt. As the brakes are in a shocking state, I decided to refresh my front brakes with new discs and pads. All was going well until it came to the dreaded caliper pins. Can I get them out? Can I balls. They are simply refusing to budge.

20210906_153107.jpg 20210906_153129.jpg
I've tried freeze spray, big hammer, vice grips, and still absolutely no movement.
Thankfully I have this as a last resort, just need to buy a new cutting disc:
20210906_154219.jpg

My only concern is how to get the pins out at either end after I've cut them?
Oh the joys of Renault ownership.

Last edited:
I’d be tempted cut the top of the pads as opposed to the pins at first

The callipers don’t actually look that bad. They must be seized in the pads from the state of them

you really need to give them a proper smack with a proper hammer!

i have done loads and so far never failed to remove any - i find the first big swing with the big hammer is key :laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: Sean197 and Beany
Looks like your brakes were stored at the bottom of the ocean!

Mine were like that when I got my car, you need to go full send on the pins, get a decent punch and disregard your knuckles. I ended up cutting mine which made things worse, they REALLY didn't want to come out.

I’d be tempted cut the top of the pads as opposed to the pins at first

The callipers don’t actually look that bad. They must be seized in the pads from the state of them

Yeah I might try that. The pedal is spongy as hell so I'm pretty sure the pads are seized in.

you really need to give them a proper smack with a proper hammer!

i have done loads and so far never failed to remove any - i find the first big swing with the big hammer is key :laughing:

Tried the hammer and punch, might just need to try a bigger hammer and bigger punch...