Scuttle Blocked - Water damage to ESP and ABS maybe?

Hi,

I recently had a blocked drain in the scuttle of my Clio 197 R27. The water was about 3 inches deep and was covering the wiper motor. This caused the hazard lights to randomly start turning on in the middle of the night and cause my battery to run flat. Another issue was that the windscreen wipers had a mind of their own. The final issue I noticed was the ABS / ESP lights switched on if I drove over 30mph.

I put the car under a cover for a few weeks to dry out and that seemed to fix the hazard light issue. However, the wipers still had a mind of their own. I then replaced the wiper motor and this reolved the issues with the wipers. However, the last issue still outstanding is the ABS / ESP lights. When I start the car the spanner light and ESP / ABS waring lights come on. They do not switch off when driving. I noticed that if I apply the brakes for the first time, I can hear the ABS trying to work. If I also brake quite hard, I can hear a faint beeping noise.

I took my car to the garage today and they replaced the ABS Sensors. However, this has not ficed the issue. They have recommended that I take the car to a auto electrician.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or could give me an idea of what to check next? The issue is clearly further up the loom.

Thanks

Paul

I know there’s no replacement for a knowledgable mechanic, but have you taken the car to someone who has CLIP or a decent diagnostic kit?

ABS light coming on above 30 is your typical ABS ring/rusty stub axle issue. I take it all fault codes were cleared after the new ABS sensors were fitted? Have the garage confirmed the ABS rings are present and intact?

Sorry if i wasn't clear. The initial symptom was the light coming on after i went above 30mph. However, for the last few weeks it has been permanently on.
I took it to my local garage today and they plugged it into their fault reader. It was saying rear ABS sensor. The garage changed the ABS sensor and the fault was still present. It seems to be doing it on one rear wheel as the sensor works fine on the other wheel with no fault.

They said they cleared all the fault codes and that the fault was further up the loom somewhere. I will need to double check with the garage if the ABS rings were present and intact. I am convinced its an electrical issue related to water in the scuttle issue, so may need to do some research on local auto electricians as well.

I will keep you posted

Thanks

There has never been any damp or wet carpets in the car. I think the water may have spilled over the scuttle and ran down into the main fuse board. Although I need to investigate a bit more. MOT due in a couple of weeks so running out of time