Safe to remove heat shied?

You know that tacky black mat with the tin foil on it which is bonded to the bulkhead behind the exhaust manifold...

Mines started peeling away and degrading and looks generally rubbish and messy, i want to rip it right off and be done with it, as the misses has done with her 182.

But apparently most my mates reckon the heat from the manifold will affect brakelines and clutch master cylinder which sit behind this mat.

I reckon its just for sound insulation and the reflective foil is to keep the mat itself from getting hot, not the components behind it.

What are the general opinions on here???

Well its one of them thick black fabric type mats, the type most cars have on the underside of the bonnet.

But it has a small square of reflective heat material.

I just want to know if that reflective shield protects the mat itself ( so i could bin it all ) or the brakelines hiding behind it?

yes the brakelines and master cylinder are behind it but the heat from the zorst shoudnt be enough to cause any damage.

i wouldnt run it with it off.......

Whys that? the 182 boys dont seem to have any trouble, apart from the clutch master cylinder its an identical setup.

And yes woody i did mate but im after standard compression pistons so when im off nitrous its not slower than standard :tongueout:

what damage would it cause fox, just out of interest

I meen I know renault wudnt have put it there if it wasnt needed.

How about wrapping ure exhaust to counter act it ben?

i think wossner do make 15:8:1 or whatever standard compression is

the heat generated in that area - it gets seriuosly hot !

i would remove it and get a better quality item in its place

okay thats a yank site but i bet there is uk suppliers of same product

lot of plastic pipes in that area like servo vacuum hose and clutch pipe - i wouldnt chance it personnally

yeah like i said renault wudnt have put it there if it didnt need it right?

On the old fiesta I had loads of people would remove the heatshield as they started rattling when they got old. On them it was just there to stop the heat going through to the cabin.

Once it was removed the carpet would get warmer than when the heatshield was in place. Maybe the clio has it for a similar reason

if u pull that black carpet thing back u can see y its there all the gubbins + ecu i thinks?