Rusting seam on boot lid (inside)

james_h

Platinum Member
Was a common problem on the 1*2's and I thought my now Renault may have sorted this one by now! :thumbdown:

Not looking that way, I've noticed some very slight bubbling around the seam by one of the drain holes on the boot.

P1010116.jpg

The car is in with my bodyshop man at the end of the week for a couple of days as I'm getting a few other bits of paint done (just the odd stone chip and light scuff from previous owner)..his work is amazing. I want this car like showroom bodywork wise. :thumbup:

Going to get him to take the trim off and treat from the inside (he uses a wax and anti corr inhibitor prevent any further corrosion) and then prime/paint from the outside...this will stop it..hopefully.

He had my old 172 cup in for exactly the same problem a few years back except it had crept around to the outside edge of the boot lid which I want to avoid..

Anyone else have this issue?? I'm surpried but not shocked, as the car has only covered 19.5k miles and is 3 and half years old.

It's not major as you can hardly see it developing, it's just annoying! :jumpon:

got any bigger pics to see closer?

not had this problem on mine.

Tried to get a close up but because the paint is ok and the bubbles are small it's impossible to pick up- on my camera anyway.

Nothing major, just had the exact same thing on the 172 Cup! annoying more than anything. Just want to treat so it doesn't get worse.

Remember seeing a few pics, may have been on cliosport - of people buying new 197's and 200's with this already happening! :thumbdown:

that ok if you can't

but.....strange you got one little hole both side and I got two little holes.

Get it sorted by Renault under warranty 12 year warranty!

Would do mate, but I've looked in to this in the past - unless you have had one of their anti corrosion checks every year you won't get any where - I've got no history of it having one of these.... and tbh... I would rather take it to my own bodyshop.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!

Last edited:
They asked me if I have had anti corrosion checks an I just said yes, then I just ticked the box in my service book and Renault uk did the work under warranty for me FOC and mines a 56 plate.

They asked me if I have had anti corrosion checks an I just said yes, then I just ticked the box in my service book and Renault uk did the work under warranty for me FOC and mines a 56 plate.

ah, well, thanks for that mate. May speak to them... but still not taking it to them!

How come your boot only has two small holes and not a rubber protector on either side, odd.

Not had this problem.

Small holes will be drain holes - I can't see why any of these holes would be covered by a rubber grommit or seal - as the water needs to drain out.

Would be interested if anyone has differing picks of this area of the boot lid please??

Cheers

replacement boot lid....might expalin the rust...

Possibly mate, but I think it's the original - Can just tell from the factory paint/fit/finish etc.

The corrosion is really common on earlier 1*2 models in this area. Just where water collects I guess on the way down to the drain holes.

I don't think Renault inject much (if any) wax etc in there - not that i've seen anyway from taking the trim off.

I'm guess when the boot is produced some of the protection from the electro plating/galvanising (or whaterver treatment method Renault use) is lost around the weld/seam before painting.... as I mentioned before heard of cars coming from the dealers with this already starting to happen.

Can anyone confirm whether their boot lid looks like mine from underneath?? (two drain holes etc)

i used to have 2 rubber rectangular seals over the holes but over time when i have been washing it, they have come off and now the boot lid loks like yours.

On my 06 plate (registered december) I've got the rubber strips which are same as the ones by the boot release button, going by the picture yours never had them as they are clipped in by plastic rivets each end.

This is what mine looks like just so you can compare, mine is a 58.

P1010162.gif

P1010163.gif

Might be why you have rust oo yours like what foxspeed said.

This is what mine looks like just so you can compare, mine is a 58.

P1010162.gif

P1010163.gif

Might be why you have rust oo yours like what foxspeed said.

cheers for the pics.

Pretty sure there should be a drain hole though... not sure why those are plugged?? maybe they are meant to be sealed>?

Last edited:
i used to have 2 rubber rectangular seals over the holes but over time when i have been washing it, they have come off and now the boot lid loks like yours.

Thanks for confirming that..so there are boot lids the same as mine..

Looking at other pictures some are different?? not sure why (not to do with age of model as some are 06's some are far later)

maybe they are meant to be covered?? I'll look in to it.

Similar Thread Suggestions