Running a 197

MissMagpiev6

Paid Member
Hey guys, I use to own a GW 197 but sold her for my Clio v6 which i still have. Im selling my 172 flamer in the hope of finding a 197. Will be a fairly high milage one to fit my budget (not over 70,000 miles though)

Im just after any info on running costs, sevice intervals, how much a cambelt costs yada yada & general problems they have.

My 197 had the clutch go at 3,000 miles & the seat wore shortly after that, so It wasn't a pleasant memory owning it! It was a friday car, its not stopping me want another :thumbsup:

I love my 197 more than anything but unless you are willing to almost constantly spend money maintaining the car, steer clear. That has been my experience so far anyway.

Mine achieves about mid 20's mpg around town which is crap IMO, something else to think about.

Cambelt changes are expensive, they are a very hard car to work on hence high labour costs.

General servicing is unexpensive though. Also, most parts are usually cheap, suspension/steering components etc.

yeh iirc I got 27mpg from mine, I only do about 4 miles to work so thats not the issue.

What have you had wrong with yours if you dont mind me asking?

yeh iirc I got 27mpg from mine, I only do about 4 miles to work so thats not the issue.

What have you had wrong with yours if you dont mind me asking?

I had four 172s before my 197, they never really caused much trouble. I have only had my 197 (2006, 40k miles) a few months and so far:

I have replaced all 4 tyres.
Had the cambelt, waterpump and aux belt changed.
I need track rod ends/inner tie rods on both sides
My downstrem o2 sensor needs replacing
My wipers have stopped working (this has been a painfull, ongoing saga)
I've changed my oil.
I bought new tailored mats (old ones were badly worn)
My steering wheel needs re-trimming or replacement (the light leather is peeling)
I need brake discs all around.

Actually, looking though my list, most of them things will have just been cause by general wear and tear. Not really the car's fault. But still, if you are going to be buying one with higher mileage, budget for most of the above.

^ I'm glad you just added the last paragraph!

On the flip side... Now you've done all that work i'm assuming you won't be able to justify selling it (i wouldn't be able to) but it 'should' give you trouble free motoring for years.

The only thing that really worrys me on the 197 / 200 is the gearbox.
And normally the lack of support from Renault when they do go. If your in warranty you normally ok. Outside of warranty, good luck...

This womans detailing is out of this world!! please get one for the photos for us!!

as for running one.

service every 12k miles depending on which one its around £200 for standard and about £500 for the full cambelt at 5 years or 72k miles.

average mpg for motorway is 34mpg
b roads ect 28mpg
town 26mpg
(this is for mine anyway)

tyres are around 100 per corner however you can get hankooks evos which are only £60 a corner and perform just as good as standard tyres.

as youl be buying a used one it would have had the gearbox issues sorted but as for general wear and tear obviously brakes are slighter more than most as there brembos. in the last year of my owner ship iv never had to splash out on problems, just upgrades :wink:.

I seem to have found with mine (now on 80k) that as long as it has a service history as thick as the old testament, it'll be fine... Touch wood, apart from needing a number plate bulb housing replaced mines driving beautifully

cheers very much guys, much apreciated. Took a deposit on my 172 today. Looking at a Nimbus 197 tomorrow, its on 76k 56 plate. 2 prev owners, FSH Inc cambelt. Asking for £4,500 worth it?

Only thing puts me off is lack of xenons, its advertised as a cup but its colour coded & doesn't have red brembo's?

56 plate cup....dont think they were around then...

plain calipers and its a "normal 197"!

Does it have Recaro's?

These cars aren't selling well at the moment, it's a buyers market so use that to your advantage.

As to what it's worth... Well it's hard to say without seeing it or driving it really. Sounds like it's up at a fair price but I'd try knock them down more too.

It does look clean to be fair. As long as the history checks out and it drives well then don't let the mileage worry you.

I doubt all of those miles will have been at full tilt anyway, could've been that the past owner did a lot of motorway journeys etc., which are hardly stressful on the engine. It's certainly better to have higher miles and good maintenance than buying an ex-press car that's only covered 10,000M but all of them have been balls out by some grinning idiot of a journo'. :smile:

As said in another thread, mine has 80k now and drives like new.

Has full Renault history and has been well looked after - only downside at the moment is awful tyres that need to go!

I got my blue 06 197 with 48k in mint condition and full renault history just needed 4 tyres and the dreaded cambelt and de-phaser doing. Parted with £4200 for it.