RS200 Wiper Mystery

Hi All,

Being a new (returning) member, now fully signed up, I have spent many (fun) hours over this weekend trying to find solutions to my wiper problem - so far without success, hence have started a new thread; sorry if I have tripped on protocol. The problem is this:

1 Wipers stopped with little warning when used just after start-up simply to clear the screen bit from summertime dust etc - after some stuttering they stopped in mid flight and won't park or go whatever speed is used including wash/wipe.

2 Suspected the motor after reading some posts, however removing the motor and bench testing in runs fast or slow every time and is clean as whistle inside gearbox

3 Then suspected switch stalk/wiring as suggested by others - this again was a red herring as switch assembly perfect inside. NB Wash (but no wipe) still works ok.

4 Checked outputs on 4 wire plug to motor with various switch positions - one wire is live always (goes to one side of parking detector), no other wires have any voltage on them.

5 Took the rack off as needed something to do while totally perplexed and found it to be stuck on drivers arm bush - at least now I can see a reason for the 'failure', however can't understand why no power to the motor, apart from fuse gone, but like others can't find fuse

6 Having seen references to the hidden fuse box between battery and nearside strut mount, went in gingerly but found it very pristine and no fuses blown - now I'm very confused :001_unsure:

7 One thing I did notice inside car fuse panel, there are 2 rows of fuses inaccessible to the door flap - are any of these implicated and if so how do you get at them without getting a hacksaw to the plastic?? :@

Sorry about the full story but thought it may trigger somebody's memory - hope you can help, please!

I would still be suspecting a motor issue, when you say it runs fast / slow on a bench , have you tried offering some resistance to it to mimic moving the wipers ?

Indeed they do! It's the first car that's had a seized mechanism which is crappy engineering for a 5 yr old car, but fixed this an still no joy. Regarding the motor, it's difficult to see how to lad it when it's got such low gearing (worm type drive).

Must be somewhere in the black box that's refusing to play ball - guess it will have to be a trip to the garage after all. :worried:

Mine did exactly the same thing in heavy rain the day I bought her. Lol read my first post...

Never happened again since.

Put it down to being French :tongueout:

Indeed they do! It's the first car that's had a seized mechanism which is crappy engineering for a 5 yr old car, but fixed this an still no joy. Regarding the motor, it's difficult to see how to lad it when it's got such low gearing (worm type drive).

Must be somewhere in the black box that's refusing to play ball - guess it will have to be a trip to the garage after all. :worried:
Grab it with your hand to offer loose resistance. Not scientific, but may give a clue.

Mine did this the other day, stopped in middle of screen, so switched car off and thought hmmmmm f**k, switched it back on and they worked again and been fine ever since, but up till that point they were wiping very very slowly even on fast setting but now everything is back to normal

Rye197, you may have got away with it this time, however your symptoms are consistent with a physical problem with the wipers. I believe the system will resort to slow speed if fast is deemed too stressful by the 'brain' which will countermand the switch setting. So it could be that yours are on the edge of mechanical seizure, clearly regular use will tend to disguise this fact. My car for instance has been in France all summer with little or no use of the wipers for several weeks so any corrosion was able to get a real toe-hold.

When my wipers stopped the last thing I expected was a seized mechanism where the car is 5 yrs old and the scuttle drainage holes were not blocked, although they did have quite a lot of gunge around. It's very easy to follow RichW's procedure and should take you an hour or two - I found getting the wiper arms off the most tricky, without bashing the windscreen! You don't necessarily need to take these off if you only want to test the mechanism, to check for any seizing, as you can remove the small arm from the motor (mark it first) and see how easy/difficult it is to operate the mechanism by hand.

I would suggest that you have a look at RichW how to guide on the wiper assembly at http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?10393-Seized-Wiper-Wipers-Stopped-Working-Cure.

Hope my pessimism isn't born out :wink:

I am expecting them to pack up shortly don't worry haha and my drainage holes are checked every couple of months to clear out any dirt and crap wonder if today will be the day....

The wiper mech is definitely a serviceable item!! Iv had mine apart today to grease everything up, works beautifully again now!