road tolls....

Foxspeed

"the new red baron"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18064363

been said awhile about low emission and elctric how they would compensate for loss of road tax vat and fuel duty......

how we are taxed at the moment it is a toll as such the more miles you drive the more fuel duty and vat you pay

i think road tax should be scrapped and put on fuel duty and that we should have to display an "insurance disc" like a lot of countries do on the continent...

but moving to elctric cars is a ticking time bomb! how do they get all the tax out of us???

as for hydrogen fuelled cars - well that will be taxed like petrol/diesel!!!

They should scrap car tax (no such thing as road tax, as roads are paid for by general taxes) and put everything on petrol. Then it really is pay as you go, job done.

The whole electric eco car is a load of old tosh... When you look at the manufacture and lifetime carbon footprint of an electric car it far outweighs the petrol car.

Firstly the carbon footprint to make the batteries is massive and secondly the electric comes from dirty coal fired power stations.

I think hydrogen is the way forward, more research is needed and hopefully we will eventually see a car that runs on water as water is the most efficient and safest carrier of hydrogen.

Unfortunately the government would only scrap fuel duty and road tax if road tolls could make them more revenue. I heard a minister on the radio today saying that fuel duty wool rise by 50% within 2 years. Its a bloody joke..

The hydrogen car is unlikely to be available any time soon because it takes more energy to explode the water into hydrogen than it creates when you burn the hydrogen off, so you need another engine to generate the hydrogen from the water and then a hydrogen burning engine.

This is the law of thermodynamics at work :smile:

I think insurance should be pays as you go as well to be honest. By scrapping road tax and adding cost to fuel duty, I don't know if I would be better off or worse off. £215 for tax would probably be gone in no time on fuel duty!

its all a big joke to be fair. Electric cars are rubbish, even the hybrids provide very poor fuel consumption. Theyre expensive, heavy and dangerous to work on.

Its laughable if you think that were gonna run out of oil, whats next? are we gonna run out of wood? Eco-ism is gonna be the end of it all.

Buy a diesel engine car. Youll save more money than an electric/hybrid/****** mobile.

I've allways said they should scrap the 'road fund licence' and put it on fuel prices, no way around it then, no dodging the road tax plus the more miles you do the more duty you'll pay, better for the old ladies, more to pay for the reps, truck drivers and fernandez.

On a brighter note, the petrol around here has gone DOWN 3 or 4p a litre, i was shocked when i saw that yesterday.

I've allways said they should scrap the 'road fund licence' and put it on fuel prices, no way around it then, no dodging the road tax plus the more miles you do the more duty you'll pay, better for the old ladies, more to pay for the reps, truck drivers and fernandez.

On a brighter note, the petrol around here has gone DOWN 3 or 4p a litre, i was shocked when i saw that yesterday.

fuel price rise in august of.......3p/ltr :angry:

Tax,tax,tax,tax what ever happens it will be taxed so it's all a load of crap

I had a prius and driving like miss daisy i got 59-63mpg london to mkeynes daily.. An audi a2 1.4 diesel hits 70mpg on smillar trips. Yes hybrid are just a way of getting round road fund and my prius avoided london congestion.. What ever you do you are doomed.

They could always start putting meters in cars and charge by the mile accordingly.

Look at gas that was a fraction of the cost only a few years ago. It got kinda popular and price went up.. Its all a gimic and all these schemes get people buy in and once its in the masses. Whatch these free electric charge points rape your wallet.

There is a question. Why are hauliers etc no longer protesting. government have to much of a hole in their fumding to scrap any taxes. I mean why.dont they just cap how much duty is grabbed from fuel.

The bit I don't understand (maybe I'm being a bit naive here) but why does the tax on fuel keep going up so much? It goes up massively over inflation (lol) each year and we all have to just bend over and take it. Surely it can't be to with the amount of cars on the road, as the amount of petrol/diesel consumed is proportional to the amount of cars using the roads, so why the massive increase?

The bit I don't understand (maybe I'm being a bit naive here) but why does the tax on fuel keep going up so much? It goes up massively over inflation (lol) each year and we all have to just bend over and take it. Surely it can't be to with the amount of cars on the road, as the amount of petrol/diesel consumed is proportional to the amount of cars using the roads, so why the massive increase?

there is an above inflation "multipler" that increases it :angry:

I agree with what everyone is saying. The government gives people money off electric cars they don't get money back in road tax and it all does is offset the carbon footprint. Can't see them being a good alternative in the future unless you can go to the 'fuel station' and exchange your battery quickly for a fully charged one so you can continue your journey. Hydrogen seems to be the best way forward, but as has been said, seems like most manufacturers aren't developing it further due to costs and risks.

Road tax should be scrapped and added on to fuel duty and electric cars should pay something. I think in order to keep 'checks' on cars, every 12 months you need to register you car as on the road and display your registration on the screen like your tax disc. Make it £10 to cover costs. It'll keep people in a job too.

I'd go even further and say fuel duty should be drastically reduced by at least 50%. Yet again its another tax that puts a further squeeze on the everyday folk and small businesses. The rich don't give a **** about fuel duty as they can afford it and dont notice it.

Yes the ecconomy needs money so stop giving it to homeless ferrets in dubeskestantandan.

As Willis points out we just bend over and take it so the government will keep doing it.

20110107-grearqe9hrktxrpk1qfxajx5ay.jpg

I'd go even further and say fuel duty should be drastically reduced by at least 50%. Yet again its another tax that puts a further squeeze on the everyday folk and small businesses. The rich don't give a **** about fuel duty as they can afford it and dont notice it.

Yes the ecconomy needs money so stop giving it to homeless ferrets in dubeskestantandan.

As Willis points out we just bend over and take it so the government will keep doing it.

1+

I see what you mean.

A lady got a range rover & her road tax near £500 but she said is that expensive?

Think will get to breaking point at 150p. Something will happen.

Ive considered running a crap a-b banger and bike lowered car and at 160p i will break even in year 1.

There is a thought.. With all the taxes businesses can claim back or get breaks from. I think they should be only allowed to have hybrids and electric cars. They dont contribute as much to the economy as a domestic user does. Plus seeing my md in a prius instead of all paid for 750 bmw would be a joy.

What is wrong with uk as a nation is we are not united enough. Hard to say this but we can learn one thing from the french who always protest. As buyers we have the leverage to hit the gov hard. Yes they will tax elsewhere but we have some control.

If we buy and carry what we need for fuel that is a reduction in revenue or shortfall for a time period for them. If we only buy from source ( all fuels comes from a limited distributors).so buy from source abc that gets fuel from distributor x.. Think of this as just 50% of uk doing this we have some more leverage affect pricing.

As an example. We negotiate rate for fuel cards with certain suppliers for company car. Our annual spend on fuel is small in comparison. Yet we get rebate and preferencial fuel price.

Its all a big monopoly and we are too happy playing it.. Lol