Ring Trip (Which Tyres?)

My Clio 197 has stopped being my daily over the last year. Heading to the Nurburgring in May.

Looking at tyres choices, and just wondered people's thoughts.

Been looking at the following:

Federal 595 RS-R 215/45 R17 87W - Full set = £270.76

Toyo Proxes R888 215/45 R17 91W - Full set = £592.76

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
JAM

I've seen plenty of people with RSR's, I think you'll be fine. I personally couldn't justify the extra for R888's on the ring. You just won't get the benefit like you would on track.

AD08R would probably be a good shout as well.

R888's will have no benefit to you out there at all..

RSR's will be fine sun or rain, R888's you'll struggle with. Assuming your going on a tourist day? You probably won't get enough heat in them to see the full grip probably, you'll be moving over for faster cars ect and looking in the mirror.

RSR's will get heat in them quicker and be a safe tyre to use.

buy more laps out of the money you've saved between the two tyre choices.

R888's will have no benefit to you out there at all..

RSR's will be fine sun or rain, R888's you'll struggle with. Assuming your going on a tourist day? You probably won't get enough heat in them to see the full grip probably, you'll be moving over for faster cars ect and looking in the mirror.

RSR's will get heat in them quicker and be a safe tyre to use.

buy more laps out of the money you've saved between the two tyre choices.

u being serious?? lol
13mile public toll road and you wont get enough heat in to the R888's? Riiiiight.

The all round tyre its the RSR. But dont be fooled by the R888's ability, they are just as good in the damp/wet conditions as the RSR's, but its just standing water is really struggles with.
At £270 for a full set, i know what ones id pick

I've seen plenty of people with RSR's, I think you'll be fine. I personally couldn't justify the extra for R888's on the ring. You just won't get the benefit like you would on track.

AD08R would probably be a good shout as well.

AD08R is meant to be the best tyre for track and warm day driving. if you saying he want get the benefit of the R888's then he wont get the benefit of the AD08R either!

Get some Goodyear Eagle f1s asymmetric 2's.. like £71 a tyre and best over all for long lasting/road & track use i think.

I'm saying that (assuming) if he's going on that May bank holiday, it'll be jammed and you won't get a full clear run on that 13 miles.. The track will be yellow flag and closed more than open, he's not on about doing a track day there.

Take a chill...

the R888/A048/V70 are more track focused tyres than the AD08/AD08R/Federal RSR ect. The R888 and equivalent only have 5mm tread new, the others have 7-8mm to be more road friendly and durable.

If the AD08/AD08R was as good as the R888 then yoko wouldn't have the A048 as competition

Last edited:
I'd say it's between the AD08R and the Nankang NS -2R. In the dry the medium Nankang is around the same as the AD08R in performance. The soft is much better and can't take much more abuse aswell as providing masses of grip. I have customers who prefer them over 888's because they handle prolonged sessions much better and are much cheaper.

In the wet id say the AD08R is better but the Nankang is still pretty good for the type of tyre.

Over all both these are better than the 595 RSR

Last edited:
It's the cracking tread on the RSR too that's not so reassuring lol

suppose I'll find out lol

I use the AD08R for the track clio and its a brilliant tyre in the dry super grip level and can take a good pounding and even in the rain it was still pretty grippy I had full confidence in it

You given any though to switching to a 225/45R17 tyre? I did it a while ago. No real disadvantages with a few advantages, such as bigger selection of tyres at cheaper prices.

I use Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres and went to the 'Ring last year on them. Couldn't fault them there. I tend to run from March to October on them and they' re great in pretty much all weather conditions too. £72 a tyres from Camskill last time I bought them as well.

I used Toyo R1-r's and they were fantastic. Can be had for reasonable prices too, same compound as the old R-888 but with more grooves and more tread depth to start with.

I was at the ring last august on Nankang NS -2R's and these would get my vote.

I've used 888's at the ring (not on my clio, an alfa 145) but in clio size the RS-2R's are roughly half the price but the 888's are not twice the tyre.

I was at the ring last august on Nankang NS -2R's and these would get my vote.

I've used 888's at the ring (not on my clio, an alfa 145) but in clio size the RS-2R's are roughly half the price but the 888's are not twice the tyre.

Sound advice here^.

I currently have the Nankang NS2R's and for the money (£100 each) they are bloody good. I previously had Yoko AD08R's which were £150 each (on my Civic Type R) and while they were better than the Nankangs, unsure whether the the increase in performance mirrored the price.

Not sure why everyone says R888's are so bad in the wet. I had them on my track Saxo / daily driver for a year or so driving to work in London everyday in all weathers, and I found they gripped well even in wet. You just have to be wary of standing water which you are more likely to aquaplane on, but otherwise in the wet they do still provide high levels of grip.

Food for thought - just bear in mind when choosing a tyre that if you crash on the ring (hopefully you won't!) and damage the arnco it's like £1000 per metre, so don't skimp on a tyre!!

NS-2r on medium compound can be had for £75 each at the moment. Hard to not pick those tbh