Rev limiter raised to 8,000rpm

Gez

Moderator & South Wales Rep
Hi all,

As above really.

Looking into recaps for the 200.

Pro's and cons to raising the rev limiter?

More power? Will the engine be safe?

Here's a vid of one:
http://youtu.be/UZenJoYLAtE

Seems to be pulling really strong, smooth?

Gez

The ARP bolts are a good price.

I'd have thought only those I'd need?

They'd need to be counter sunk Into the rods too.

I thought these engines we're quite strong, and would take a few 100 more rpm. But if arp's are needed, I'd have to take that cost into it too.

Now I think about it, you might be able to do 7800 'safely' with the ARP bolts? It was a long time since I read the thread.

The ARP bolts are a good price.

I'd have thought only those I'd need?

They'd need to be counter sunk Into the rods too.

I thought these engines we're quite strong, and would take a few 100 more rpm. But if arp's are needed, I'd have to take that cost into it too.

The ARPs are a direct fit mate, i usually have a set or 2 floating around at home

Dont ask.....

Here's a vid of one:
http://youtu.be/UZenJoYLAtE

Seems to be pulling really strong, smooth?

Gez

I've seen this video before, it's in Greece, the comments are simply hilarious!!

Regarding the car, apparently it's stock only with a remap, apparently the guy set the limiter to 8k just for the purposes of the video and then set it to 7800 for ''safety''. Stupid if you ask me...that's a no reason risk.

what on earth!

peak power on these cars is know where near 8k so what is the point raising the limiter!!!!

look at any graph and at the point the curve starts to head downwards you've reached the limit

unless your running cams then there's no point raising the limit,your just killing the car for no extra power

what on earth!

peak power on these cars is know where near 8k so what is the point raising the limiter!!!!

look at any graph and at the point the curve starts to head downwards you've reached the limit

unless your running cams then there's no point raising the limit,your just killing the car for no extra power

This. :thumbsup:

It was only a question.

Nothing said 'I'm doing this' just looking for opinions on it.

If its not worth doing, then it wouldn't be done :smile:

It was only a question.

Nothing said 'I'm doing this' just looking for opinions on it.

If its not worth doing, then it wouldn't be done :smile:

i wasn't being funny at all mate,sorry if it read that way

suppose my little rant if you can call it that is with the incapable mappers that suggest that raising the limiter is going to do you a favour

i'm not naming any companys buts i've seen people actually post graphs on here then brag that there limiter has been raised when you can clearly see the car is peaking 500rpm sooner

sorry if i've cheesed you off

With the right engine mods you could raise the rev limit to around 11,000rpm but you are looking at serious money, forged engine, cams, uprated valves & springs, solid lifters etc etc. Catcam produce an uprated follower set for the F4r that is rated to around 500bhp and to stupid RPM, however these require a lot if head work just to fit them in.

It would be an immense engine but not one for the road and certainly not for a daily driver.

i wasn't being funny at all mate,sorry if it read that way

suppose my little rant if you can call it that is with the incapable mappers that suggest that raising the limiter is going to do you a favour

i'm not naming any companys buts i've seen people actually post graphs on here then brag that there limiter has been raised when you can clearly see the car is peaking 500rpm sooner

sorry if i've cheesed you off

Tdf raised mine by 500.

I wouldn't dream of 8,000rpm or more in an F4R, it's an undersquare engine so the long throw makes high RPM more likely to make something let go rather than a square or oversquare engine.

what on earth!

What he said! Don't do it