My rev limiter comes in earlier sometimes :\

Every so often, usually about 5-10mins of driving, (engine fully warmed up) when i go to boot it, my rev limiter sometimes comes in at 6.5-7rpm! I hate it when it does that because im used to it coming in at 7.5rpm and it makes the car feel slower because ur not getting the full power out of the rev range.

Why does this happen? Has anyone else had this problem? It does go after about 10mins. This usually happens when i first boot the car..

Reece..

The temperature dial is for the coolant, the rev limit will be based on oil temperature. Oil takes longer to warm up than the coolant!

sometimes if i'm on the motorway and doing 70 for a long period of time its cold when I come off the motorway to a B road and boot it the oil has cooled down enough to not let the car rev fully! you get to know how far along the needle and how long you have been driving at what speeds you will get past that limiter.

sometimes if i'm on the motorway and doing 70 for a long period of time its cold when I come off the motorway to a B road and boot it the oil has cooled down enough to not let the car rev fully! you get to know how far along the needle and how long you have been driving at what speeds you will get past that limiter.

is that even possible? how can the oil cool down when the cars sat at say 3500rpm?

I don't think that's right, is your fan running all the time? Sounds like a possible dodgy thermostat or something.

if so then theres something wrong there...

the ecu uses the water temperature to set the lower rev limits - not sure on 197 but 182 rev limits are not alot as regards to "limiting" a few 100 rpm and stages depending on temperature

hrm maybe I have a problem. The fan is not constantly running no.. but lately (after the fuel pump replacement) the temp will be lower when on the motorway if the weather is cold... does not happen in the summer though? I'll get it checked....