Renaultsport RS 01 new car announced (Alpine)

So they've sacked off the Alpine road car project, and decided they had better find a way to make use of the R&D budget they pumped in to it by making it a Renault branded race car?

I hope I'm getting it wrong, as the Alpine/Caterham project seemed like a decent idea. But to just have a one make tin top race car that isn't based on any road car seems pointless to me? :worried:

So they've sacked off the Alpine road car project, and decided they had better find a way to make use of the R&D budget they pumped in to it by making it a Renault branded race car?/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I thought that the Alpine/Caterham alliance was separate and would not be producing a vehicle for some time. This is likely Renaults competition for what they will ultimately produce! Looking at recent form it will likely be a small engine with multiple turbos, rear engined and wheel drive. speculation is for over 500 BHP but more likely from Renault is that they will look to keep the weight down and concentrate on handling. Just my thoughts!

It is said to be a replacement for the megane trophy, so basically it may as well act as a concept for the future megane...