RenaultSport Clio 220 Trophy: Better than before?

Just done my second track day and let's say
the 200 t gearbox did not play ball
when in sport mode and your coming into a corner you flick down to say second you go round the corner and if you lift of slightly the box changes up to third instead of staying in second it like its trying to save fuel and change up to early
its very annoying and if you forget to flick it down again the car bogs down in third and the person behind you runs up your arse
It's very annoying
All can be sorted by going into race mode but then you loose all the electronic gizmos
dunlop tyres go gooy after five laps so really need track tyres
and engine management light comes on every ten minutes
been doing this since I got the car from new only does it when driving really hard but the garage can't find out what's wrong with it
any way back to the gearbox
the 200t really needs a manual box , brembos and a set of recaros.

If on a track I'd personally use Race mode as its fully manual, this improves it a lot however its still not perfect. The brakes are the best I've ever used & stop the car like its hit a wall, they can also take a beating. Recaros would be a lovely addition however it would mean there would be less space in the back for passengers. The engine is really strong when you're on it but I can't help but feel its being pegged back as it sometimes feels like it lacks in gear punch for a turbo engine, however once it kicks down in sports mode its goes like a stabbed rat. Should have the option for a manual with more torque though like the new Polo GTI :thumbsup:

If on a track I'd personally use Race mode as its fully manual, this improves it a lot however its still not perfect. The brakes are the best I've ever used & stop the car like its hit a wall, they can also take a beating. Recaros would be a lovely addition however it would mean there would be less space in the back for passengers. The engine is really strong when you're on it but I can't help but feel its being pegged back as it sometimes feels like it lacks in gear punch for a turbo engine, however once it kicks down in sports mode its goes like a stabbed rat. Should have the option for a manual with more torque though like the new Polo GTI :thumbsup:

race mode only way to go
only problem is you end up with loads of wheel spin when running on kerbs on exiting corners
I really need to get back to old school and not use electronics to sort out to much throttle
would love to try new 220 trophy to see the difference in gearbox mapping
but I don't think my dealer would let me track a new demo

The gearbox shifts for you in sport when your about to 'Hit the limiter' meaning if you were in race surely you would just need to change anyway or it'd just headbutt the limiter multiple times?

Just done my second track day and let's say
the 200 t gearbox did not play ball
when in sport mode and your coming into a corner you flick down to say second you go round the corner and if you lift of slightly the box changes up to third instead of staying in second it like its trying to save fuel and change up to early
its very annoying and if you forget to flick it down again the car bogs down in third and the person behind you runs up your arse
It's very annoying
All can be sorted by going into race mode but then you loose all the electronic gizmos
dunlop tyres go gooy after five laps so really need track tyres
and engine management light comes on every ten minutes
been doing this since I got the car from new only does it when driving really hard but the garage can't find out what's wrong with it
any way back to the gearbox
the 200t really needs a manual box , brembos and a set of recaros.
If it changed up mid corner you weren't in manual mode, only sport auto which would be useless for track.

In sport manual it will hold the gears (unless you go sub 1500 RPM, hit the limiter or the kickdown switch)

I've had the pleasure of driving the new 200T. It is a good car BUT I still maintain that a Hot Hatch should have a Manual gearbox.
The 200T feels more like a car you could use everyday it is quite comfortable, fairly fuel efficient compared to older versions and is quick too. But on the track I feel you would get more driving feedback in the older versions.

There is something about getting the most out of a car with a 2.0 N/A screaming its nuts off that I prefer.

I don't understand why Renault decided to give the Clio the paddles, where as the Megane Trophy and Trophy R are Manuals.

I've had the pleasure of driving the new 200T. It is a good car BUT I still maintain that a Hot Hatch should have a Manual gearbox.
The 200T feels more like a car you could use everyday it is quite comfortable, fairly fuel efficient compared to older versions and is quick too. But on the track I feel you would get more driving feedback in the older versions.

There is something about getting the most out of a car with a 2.0 N/A screaming its nuts off that I prefer.

I don't understand why Renault decided to give the Clio the paddles, where as the Megane Trophy and Trophy R are Manuals.

I guess it all still comes back to the fact Renault wanted to broaden the customer base with the new Clio RS. The Fiesta ST being the success it has, has just highlighted the 200T's so called 'shortcomings'.

However, as I've said before, it seems the fashion to criticise the 200T for having an auto 'box (primarily in the press, and from a lot of people who haven't driven the car), yet the bona fide owners have no bad thing to say about it...

I guess it all still comes back to the fact Renault wanted to broaden the customer base with the new Clio RS. The Fiesta ST being the success it has, has just highlighted the 200T's so called 'shortcomings'.

However, as I've said before, it seems the fashion to criticise the 200T for having an auto 'box (primarily in the press, and from a lot of people who haven't driven the car), yet the bona fide owners have no bad thing to say about it...

I was was a bona fide owner and I couldn't find anything good to say about the 200T gearbox! The day I sold it was a very happy day!

I'm at the 'Ring in mine next week so i'll see how it goes.

An old and tired argument the auto vs manual one. The manual will always be more fun and more engaging, there is no point arguing this, I don't know why people keep bringing it up. That being said i'm very surprised how much I do enjoy the paddles on a spirited drive.

If the 200T was a manual I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I was was a bona fide owner and I couldn't find anything good to say about the 200T gearbox! The day I sold it was a very happy day!
i agree as well
I've owned my 200t for nearly two years and the box is a pile of shoddy ****e
car ok in wet
but it ain't a hot hatch or a track car the gearbox spoils all that

Still rather like mine (with reservations) and very much looking forward to a test drive in the new 220t (early September looking likely).

Classic case of what suits one person, doesn't necessarily suit all. Though obviously doesn't help if you end up with a car that has had what looks like a long list of faults (EG. Shocker).

Still rather like mine (with reservations) and very much looking forward to a test drive in the new 220t (early September looking likely).

Classic case of what suits one person, doesn't necessarily suit all. Though obviously doesn't help if you end up with a car that has had what looks like a long list of faults (EG. Shocker).

I do like my car especially the looks engine and handling in the wet
but the rs200t has a long list of faults
and it's very lacking as a hot hatch or track car
as mike says mine has had a lot of faults
the latest being that the wipers don't work when it's raining
they are ok in the dry
it starts when you select auto setting when raining the wipers then stop working in any setting
you then have to stop and then open and close the door then put the key back in the slot which seems to reset the system for a short time
getting the car to a garage means a day of work and a loss of wages and I've lost a lot of money
I should get shot of the car but I hate giving in or getting beaten by something and would love to break this car in and get it working correctly
i know it's probably the auto sensor wiring as the auto lights go haywire at same time

Shocker ... Interesting to hear about the wipers. Mine has done the exact same thing. Luckily only once. As you say, had to stop, turn ignition off, lock\unlock the doors and on starting the engine, they seemed to work fine. Would not fancy that happening on a wet day on the motorway at 70mph We get a lot of rain in this part of SW Scotland.

Shocker ... Interesting to hear about the wipers. Mine has done the exact same thing. Luckily only once. As you say, had to stop, turn ignition off, lock\unlock the doors and on starting the engine, they seemed to work fine. Would not fancy that happening on a wet day on the motorway at 70mph We get a lot of rain in this part of SW Scotland.
It was raining heavy and I was on the motorway the other day
i just speed up to 130mph to blow rain off the window

only joking got some of that rain x on windscreen

Let's get back to the 220 trophy
I would like to test drive one and see the difference but I don't think will buy one
currently putting cash away for a Monaro or maybe a megane trophy
drove a trophy a Bedford and it feels like a really awesome car
for once I won't slag renaults as the megane trophy felt and drove really nice
didnt get much time in car so getting used to manual gears again was a little hard as all my cars have been auto or paddles for the last five years and it took me a few laps to get used to a clutch again and by that time it was time up and I had to come off the track

I'm very tempted by the 208 gti by Peugeot Sport. Look great in pearl white and as a staff member I can get one for £185 a month. Renault want £235 for a basic Trophy with a higher deposit (£2000 against £4000).

The wait on a Trophy is substantial. I ordered mine at the beginning of August and I've been given a delivery date today of 22nd December.

The wait on a Trophy is substantial. I ordered mine at the beginning of August and I've been given a delivery date today of 22nd December.

Sounds about right.
Even stock cars can take 3/4 months, especially if you straddle the 2 week factory shut-down in August (as your order does).