Renault have broke my car!!!!

I took my car to Renault yesterday to have the brake fluid changed, register phone call a couple of hours later saying the fluid had been changed, but the car wouldnt start??? The car was fine before I left it in with them? They then said that it would need to be put on the diagnostic to see whats wrong with it and it would cost £57.50!!! Which made me laugh! I told them the car has developed the problem when it has been in there hands and they should find out what's wrong with it without me paying for it!!! So after arguing with them they agreed to do the diagnostic free of charge.

They rang today to inform me that the starter motor was broken!! I then said well you'll have to fix it? As the car arrived at your garage working fine And after you have performed work on the car it now needs a new starter motor???? They disagreed and told me they wouldn't cover any costs!

I rang Renault uk and told them the situation and they said they will look into it. I know they weren't working with the starter, but it mysteriously seemed to break when it was with them? Surely they would have to cover for any costs??

What do you think?

It does sound a bit odd. :worried:

If you'd had no problems previously then I'd try and get them to cover the cost. Not sure how you could proove they'd caused the starter to give up, but likewise I don't think they could proove they haven't broken it. Renault UK are very fair and no doubt will come to a sensible conclusion.

Hmm tough one, I would guess RUK will come back and offer to cover 50% of the bill or something like that.

It may well have just been something that's decided to give out for no reason but like you say they can't prove that they haven't caused it?? For all i know they could have been doing anything?

dont think you can blame them for breaking the starter motor they can go at anytime and the 197 have had a few fail

you did right with the diagnosis - it wouldnt take long to suss out a faulty starter

just see if they will do it at a good price whilst its in there...afteral it aint going anywhere!

They were looking £251 for parts alone!!! And they said that was heavily discounted!!! I'm gonna see what Renault uk say, but If I have to spend any money it will be collected and I'll get the starter motor reconditioned or get one second hand!! I hate renault cars now!!! Mines is now for sale!!!!! Once it's fixed!! Gonna buy something german!!

They were looking £251 for parts alone!!! And they said that was heavily discounted!!! I'm gonna see what Renault uk say, but If I have to spend any money it will be collected and I'll get the starter motor reconditioned or get one second hand!! I hate renault cars now!!! Mines is now for sale!!!!! Once it's fixed!! Gonna buy something german!!

It must be annoying to say the least, but it sounds like you're over-reacting a little. Have you had anything else go wrong on the car in the past? how old is it?

To be fair i know they do tend to fail but if my car was in the garage and the starter motor failed i wouldn't accept it back unless it was returned fully functional how i handed it over..

If you do sell up and decide to go for german, steer clear of TDI's with the 140 PD lump in them. Injector failure is very common, and expensive to replace....

Most new car's have loads of common problems, its why I think when I decide to get rid of my Clio (wont be for a good while), I'm gonna use my '89 Polo instead lol.

Last edited:
Car has had to have the gearbox and clutch, exhaust manifold, both door handle sensors replaced, tdc sensor in gearbox, and other stuff since buying the car a year and half ago I've spent probably around £2000 on it. So it's been troublesome! And it's only done 46000 miles!!!

Car has had to have the gearbox and clutch, exhaust manifold, both door handle sensors replaced, tdc sensor in gearbox, and other stuff since buying the car a year and half ago I've spent probably around £2000 on it. So it's been troublesome! And it's only done 46000 miles!!!

Whoah! You've got unlucky!

but on the other hand you've replaced all that now, so the car should be good for plenty of miles :smile:

Very true it should be trouble free!! But I think I'm gonna sell it anyway! Renault uk informed that they won't be able to cover any repairs needed but that they could do the repair Inc parts and vat for 250 I declined the offer! Went today and collected the car, gave it a push start and away it went, have the car on the lift, only took 20 mins to get the starter out, problem is the wire going from the solenoid into the main body of the starter is broken, going to get it fixed now, will probably cost a tenner at the most!!

Very true it should be trouble free!! But I think I'm gonna sell it anyway! Renault uk informed that they won't be able to cover any repairs needed but that they could do the repair Inc parts and vat for 250 I declined the offer! Went today and collected the car, gave it a push start and away it went, have the car on the lift, only took 20 mins to get the starter out, problem is the wire going from the solenoid into the main body of the starter is broken, going to get it fixed now, will probably cost a tenner at the most!!

ah now thats a result if its only that :jase:

And Renault didn't spot this?! You have to wonder if they'd seen and were having you on or if they'd have found it later would they still have charged the £250?

Shocking diagnosis!

With regards to paying for it. I suppose you can't always expect the garage to pay for everything, if that was the case people would be patching up cars left right and centre and giving them to dealers and claiming its their fault. But having said that I'd still have been pissed lol!

Not a bad result in the end though :smile:

Only cost a tenner for the repair, took about 25mins getting it back in, working fine!!! Yayy!! It only took me a few hours including waiting for the starter repair guy to open up after his lunch, Renault were saying it would be 7- 10 days before they could have it sorted! Saved time and money!!!

Only cost a tenner for the repair, took about 25mins getting it back in, working fine!!! Yayy!! It only took me a few hours including waiting for the starter repair guy to open up after his lunch, Renault were saying it would be 7- 10 days before they could have it sorted! Saved time and money!!!

thats what workshop loading does for you - more jobs than man hours available

but its sorted and cost "peanuts" :wink:

Apparently parts have been delayed by the Japanese tsunami, which would cause further delays for parts to arrive, they were prepared to give a courtesy car, renault uk said it's something they have been doing due to delays on certain parts.

That is pretty shocking service by Renault for not explaining what the problem was better. There's a 'failed starter' or a 'broken wire'.. they're not the same thing when you're talking £250+ for get it sorted.

Glad you took it elsewhere and have it fixed :smile:

Rich