Removing Rear View Mirror

Addison

Paid Member
Has anyone got any tips for this? I'm trying to take it off and had a few attempts now and it's just not budging. I know it's supposed to slide downwards towards the dash but if only it was that easy!

Have you tried a heat gun (carefully) ?

The adhesive they use is pretty heavy duty, you could probably getaway with a hair dryer if a heat gun isn’t available but will take longer.

Reactions: Addison
Have you tried a heat gun (carefully) ?

The adhesive they use is pretty heavy duty, you could probably getaway with a hair dryer if a heat gun isn’t available but will take longer.
Cheers mate, I finally got it off a few hours ago! Gave it a shunt with a rubber mallet lol

Has anyone got any tips for this? I'm trying to take it off and had a few attempts now and it's just not budging. I know it's supposed to slide downwards towards the dash but if only it was that easy!

It's certainly not supposed to slide toward the dash on my 2012 FF200. The entire housing is simply held on by sticky pads. Which the glue has now failed on...there are no clips or anything. The unit comes apart into two pieces once it's off, so perhaps that's why you though it would slide.

Once you gave it a whack with the rubber mallet did you attempt to fix it back on? If you did how did you get it to stay stuck? Mine just fell off and was left hanging by the wiring. It won't stick back with the original pads. New pads I've used aren't strong enough to keep it in place.

I expect I'll have to go to a stealer and purchase some fancy Renault only sticky pads.

It's certainly not supposed to slide toward the dash on my 2012 FF200. The entire housing is simply held on by sticky pads. Which the glue has now failed on...there are no clips or anything. The unit comes apart into two pieces once it's off, so perhaps that's why you though it would slide.

Once you gave it a whack with the rubber mallet did you attempt to fix it back on? If you did how did you get it to stay stuck? Mine just fell off and was left hanging by the wiring. It won't stick back with the original pads. New pads I've used aren't strong enough to keep it in place.

I expect I'll have to go to a stealer and purchase some fancy Renault only sticky pads.

Don’t think they're different on any of the models, unless you don't have rain sensors but still would've assume they fit the same. Slides down towards the dash 100% though.

Which part has actually fallen off, the metal bracket? If so then you'll need a new one, it just slides out of that bracket. Shouldn't have any glue or anything mine just slid back in and clipped together again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ShantiT
The entire metal bracket - which is stuck to the windscreen by two tiny pads - has come away from the windscreen. The plastic shrouding was still attached to it.

I have now taken the plastic shrouding off the metal bracket. Which would correspond to you mentioning that the plastic housing would slide toward the dash; once you work out where the clips are you need to release.

I have both rain sensors and auto lights.

The sticky pads that attach the metal to the windscreen are what I require.

For future reference, in order to remove the plastic housing around the metal, first you have to remove the upper part; with the indentation for the wires to pass. You do that by squeezing at the join of the upper and lower parts nearest to the windscreen, with your fingers above the mirror.

You'll need to squeeze pretty damn hard, whilst gently twisting the plastic, leveraging upward toward the headlining.

With that bit off, it's then very easy to see the larger clips you need to unclip to make the larger lower part of the surround slide down toward the dash.

IMG_7457.JPG IMG_7458.JPG IMG_7459.JPG IMG_7460.JPG

The entire metal bracket - which is stuck to the windscreen by two tiny pads - has come away from the windscreen. The plastic shrouding was still attached to it.

I have now taken the plastic shrouding off the metal bracket. Which would correspond to you mentioning that the plastic housing would slide toward the dash; once you work out where the clips are you need to release.

I have both rain sensors and auto lights.

The sticky pads that attach the metal to the windscreen are what I require.

For future reference, in order to remove the plastic housing around the metal, first you have to remove the upper part; with the indentation for the wires to pass. You do that by squeezing at the join of the upper and lower parts nearest to the windscreen, with your fingers above the mirror.

You'll need to squeeze pretty damn hard, whilst gently twisting the plastic, leveraging upward toward the headlining.

With that bit off, it's then very easy to see the larger clips you need to unclip to make the larger lower part of the surround slide down toward the dash.

View attachment 130687 View attachment 130688 View attachment 130689 View attachment 130690
That’s good info cheers. Need to replace the glass in mine.

Liverpool fan by any chance?:wink:

Reactions: ShantiT
That’s good info cheers. Need to replace the glass in mine.

Liverpool fan by any chance?:wink:

Pleasure. So much easier to tell how the plastic comes apart, and therefore how you'd remove shrouding in-situ, when the whole thing is off the windscreen. May as well share the knowledge. As for taking the entire mirror off the screen that's a heat gun on the metal under the plastic shroud to soften the glue pads - or just a heavy yank and it will come off the screen in your hand.

Haha, total coincidental positioning of the sports supplement, but you are correct. Good to see them on form, whether it will last is another question.

Well I have had both types of windscreen the mirror should be removed by pulling it downwards following the line of the glass towards the dash difficult I know . The mirror arm clips into the metal pad that comes ready fitted to the glass. Now somewhere along the line your windscreen might have been replaced and that's why you had the trouble. When my windscreen got cracked and the insurance was paying for a new one I got the rain sensor one fitted and with the roof loom, left indictor with auto button and mirror assembly I activated the function with the Renault clip and now I have auto headlights and rain sensor running now. And if you watch the videos remember the Clio 1 and Clio 2 work in the opposite direction hence another
upload_2018-12-23_17-55-0.png

Reactions: ShantiT and Addison
Well I have had both types of windscreen the mirror should be removed by pulling it downwards following the line of the glass towards the dash difficult I know . The mirror arm clips into the metal pad that comes ready fitted to the glass. Now somewhere along the line your windscreen might have been replaced and that's why you had the trouble. When my windscreen got cracked and the insurance was paying for a new one I got the rain sensor one fitted and with the roof loom, left indictor with auto button and mirror assembly I activated the function with the Renault clip and now I have auto headlights and rain sensor running now. And if you watch the videos remember the Clio 1 and Clio 2 work in the opposite direction hence another

Awesome. Thanks for this. The mystery solved. So it's clear that there is a metal bracket/pad that's fixed to the windscreen by sticky strips (supposedly permanently), then the metal mirror arms slots onto that, then the plastic shrouding clips around the metal arm.

Looking at what I have in my hand it's clear that I have both the metal fixing and the mirror arm; whereas the metal fixing should be on the windscreen - hence everyone stating one can slide the mirror downward to remove it. It slides off the metal bracket that's expected to permanently remain on the windscreen.

I've had the car from 3000 miles. There is nothing about it that indicates it's had the windscreen replaced. The issue I have seems to be that the glue on the sticky pads that fixes the metal bracket/pad to the windscreen has failed.

If the metal bracket/pad is ready fitted to the windscreen from manufacture then there will be no way I can fix it 'properly' without replacing the windscreen.

So it will have to be industrial strength sticky pads on the screen or metal bracket and it being pushed back on. *rse. Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks. Yes, it's an original windscreen. It has Renault branding and the airbag symbol on the N/S lower corner.

I'll see what a windscreen repair place might have in the way of sticky pads.

This morning I prised/slid the metal bracket/pad off the mirror arm. It seems when removing the arm when in-situ you should only slide it a little toward the dash before gently pulling it toward you. The mirror arm isn't designed to fully slide off before pulling toward you - probably a good thing.

Happy Christmas :thumb:

IMG_7474.JPG IMG_7475.JPG

Reactions: Big Ben
OK I will have to add to this if you have the standard black mirror that does nothing else but look backwards it is removed by pushing upwards and opposite to the grey multi function mirror including the auto dipping mirror that comes from the Megane / Scenic

I bought a new mirror from RPD as the glass on mine is starting to degrade around the edges. This thread and the diagrams were really useful, and I got the covers off safely and unplugged the main electrical connector.

CC6C6606-AB95-4D48-BABF-C72C45E2725F.jpeg

However, there is a smaller black electrical connector behind the mirror and I couldn’t get that apart - I can’t see a tab on it anywhere to squeeze or lift and I didn’t want to risk damaging it so reassembled it all again!

Can anyone that has swapped mirrors over give me a pointer please? I’m also fairly sure that once the connector issue is sorted, the mirror stalk itself is going to be a bugger to remove from the mount. I know it should just move forward and down in line with the screen a small amount before dropping out but mine seemed very secure… I have a rubber mallet and a piece of wood if necessary :grinning:

You don't need to disconnect the rain sensor (see @turkie172 video above), if you really want to though you can unclip the sensor from the windscreen (see metal clips either side) just but be careful though as the clip is razor sharp! :thumb:

Ok that’s useful to know thanks. The reason I was thinking about it was in case I need to give the alloy mirror stalk a decent whack to get it moving, and launch it into the rain sensor by accident!

The rain sensor has a gel in it between the sensor and the glass and looks clear you can buy the gel circle on eBay for about £10 - £15
1631227914731.png

Yes the rain sensor plug is extremely hard to remove lack of access and difficult to release.

Cheers. I’m having another go at this at the moment and the ba**ard mirror is not budging from the mount. I’m sure a bit of WD40 would help if I could get it in the right place without spreading it everywhere!