Removing air con

Going to remove the air con from the clio. Just wondering what is needed. Can I just use a belt from a cup? As I won't need it as long.

Thanks, dan

dont think its that simple...

i think theres an idler that needs fitting when the compressor is removed...

the rest of it should be just a case of removing the condensor/pipes/wiring/heat exchanger etc

I'm sure it'll be the same sort of job as removing it from the 172/182's.

It's not straight forward, pointless just buying a belt, still has the weight of it there.

You'll need a completely different alternator/belt set up. Off a non A/C cup.

And the power steering pipes too.

And to do it properly, you'll need the cup heater blower in the bulk head too.

It was worth every penny and sweat on my 172 though, it averages a 6hp gain from the weight/strain taken off the engine. Not sure on prices to do it for the 197/200 though and how common parts are

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll be the same sort of job as removing it from the 172/182's.

It's not straight forward, pointless just buying a belt, still has the weight of it there.

You'll need a completely different alternator/belt set up. Off a non A/C cup.

And the power steering pipes too.

And to do it properly, you'll need the cup heater blower in the bulk head too.

It was worth every penny and sweat on my 172 though, it averages a 6hp gain from the weight/strain taken off the engine. Not sure on prices to do it for the 197/200 though and how common parts are

No power steering pipes on a 197/200 mate

Lol, suppose I can be let off on that. Can't have everything right haha.

I was just going off what my 172 involved, thought I'd give as much advice/help as possible

just had a look at a pdf file i have...

idler - 8200509929

bolt - 7703002150 (x3)

that replaces the compressor...

that wont fit the 197/200 fr4 engine...

just have a word with a dealer to get up the 197 cup engine pictures and compare them to yours and iirc there is an idler pulley that goes in place of the air con compressor and thats about it

Thought it might have been different.

It'll definitely not fit mine then.

Maybe best to get a 197 cup without aircon and compare it to yours on the Renault parts system like foxy said. I spec'd my old 197 Cup without aircon I can PM you the original reg if you want. If not it should be on a pic in my project thread.

Cheers guys! I've emailed renault to see what they say.
But basically I need:
New belt
Idler
3x bolts?
Thanks for all your help!

Cheers guys! I've emailed renault to see what they say.
But basically I need:
New belt
Idler
3x bolts?
Thanks for all your help!

you need to make sure first but looking at the pdf i have the belt stays the same!