Rear end rattle - Annoying!

Hi guys,

Had a rattle on the rear of my car for a while now, which I thought was just the bootlid. Its got gradually worse and is now at the point where its beyond annoying.

So I took the plastic trim off and adjusted the catch nice and tight using trial and error.

Went for a drive, rattle is still there?

Tightened the catch further so now its at the point where I need to drop the bootlid from a good foot or so for the boot to actually latch.

Went for a drive - Rattle still there?! Hard to tell if its got any better or not but its still rattling badly on certain roads either way.

What else could be causing this? I've been round and tightened every screw/nut I can see around the area i.e. rear lights and all bits of trim around the bootlid.

Can't think of what else could be rattling?

New bootlid seal maybe? To cushion the bootlid?

Bit of a shot in the dark, but is the parcel shelf seated properly, where it hinges on the back of the seats? I only suggest that because I had a rattle recently and it turned out to be this....

rear seat pivots/latches maybe?

It rattles with people sat in the back as well though, so don't think it could be that.

Have you got a spoiler? Might need to tighten that up.

Got a sprint spoiler which is bonded on so nothing to tighten there.

Bit of a shot in the dark, but is the parcel shelf seated properly, where it hinges on the back of the seats? I only suggest that because I had a rattle recently and it turned out to be this....

Tried it with and without parcel shelf and its still there.

It does sound like the bootlid to me but cannot figure out how it can still rattle now i've got it closing so tightly!

remove the trim on the boot and see if its from inside...say the wiper motor bracket or something

I had the same problem, tried the tape around the boot & rear seat latches, nothing changed, i put a heavy object in the boot, rattles gone, only a quick fix until you can find the cause but mine hasnt rattled since :smile:

i had the same problem, it was under the carpet behind the rear seats, accesable from the boot. it was a piece of metal rubbing onto the other one.

Thought i'd update this.

The rattle got worse and worse and eventually started varying dependent on engine revs, so I realized it must of been the exhaust.

Still not sure what happened to it but my scorpion exhaust must of moved slightly over time and began to hang at an angle. The Offside tip was about half an inch higher than the right and was hitting the diffuser at certain revs or over bumps.

So I took the diffuser off, slackened the clamps on the exhaust and slid all the system together as much as I could, then using trial and error with the diffuser on/off I just moved it to get both tips as central as I could and tightened all the mounts.

Its cured it, but maybe something to keep an eye on for people with aftermarket exhausts. Mines been fitted about 5 months before it developed this problem so it much of vibrated loose and allowed the system to twist.

like foxy said..plastic off and see if there is a loose part....have u got a standard exhaust on???any chance its coming from there??