Rear brakes rubbing

NS rear brake has been squealing a bit while driving and recently noticed while reversing it squeals even louder, also it's been pulling to the left a bit. Took it to a garage a few months ago and they said it just needed some grease on the pads, so I said I'd do it myself.

Finally got round to looking at it the other day and noticed the wheel was difficult to turn. I posted the following video on facebook and everyone was telling me it was either the hand brake cables or the pistons.

Took another look tonight with the wheel off and looks as though the hand brake cable is moving freely. I was also able to wind in the piston with a pair of needle nose pliers, and it felt very smooth.

But the pads were stuck in position and I had to tap them both out. There was a bit of crud on the sides of the pads and I tried to clean up the metal slider shim things. Greased up the sides of the pads as well but still had to force the pads into place, as soon as I pressed the brakes the pads were stuck in position again.

IMG_20190428_172219.jpg

Pads were put on last April by previous owner, they look like they have lots of life left.

Is it just a case of getting new pads? Why have they got stuck?

Sorry lots of words for something probably very simple!

I would strip the rear and have a look for a sticky calliper and then re-grease the pad and replace it with a pad fitting kit if needed.

Last edited:
I might be being thick, but what do you mean by sticky calliper?

The piston in the caliper and slider pins.

These cars need a brake service every year IMO. Check all pistons and pins are moving freely, clean up pads and regrease backs and edges. Clean and grease the hand brake cable and if you haven't fitted already buy some Megane return springs.

Well that's what I thought and wrote above. Cylinder seems to wind in smoothly, handbrake cable works correctly, just the pads are stuck in place and I'm wondering what to do!

The pistons and cables are the normal culprits but you say these are fine so it's just a process of elimination. Have you tried taking pads out and cleaning the pads and metal shims? Are the slider pins moving freely? When pads are out does the disc spin freely?

Yeah discs spin freely and smoothly with no pads. I've cleaned the metal shims, but not the slider pins, I'll check those next.

But should the pads be able to slide freely on the shims?

Rear calibers are so cheap to replace, if you dont have interest to fix old, buy set of new.
I paid something like 120€ for pair of red TRW calibers.
In my case right side caliber piston was stuck in caliber.
Easy job to change..

Reactions: rcwsr
Make sure the slide pins are working
upload_2019-4-29_12-42-29.png
If the pads are pinched in the guides give the metal back a file on the contact edge the pad should move the same direction as the slide pins without much "SLAP" up and down does not matter its the movement up to and away from the disc.
upload_2019-4-29_12-48-39.png

The lever on the back of the caliper should go all the way back to the stop if not try and pull the lever to the stop and see if the wheel spins freely. By pushing the lever forward you should by hand be able to unclip the handbrake cable you can check then if the handbrake cable is sticking (push and pull the cable it should glide freely) or the lever is not returning.
upload_2019-4-29_13-5-51.png

Reactions: Big Ben and rcwsr
Took a look at both sides this weekend. Sliding pins seemed fine and felt smooth. I sanded away all of that crap from the slider shims as well as edges of the calliper that the shims sit on. I also sanded the sides of the pad backing plates.

IMG_20190506_095122.jpg IMG_20190506_094841.jpg

Regreased with copper slip. I've now got both sides of the car to a point there the pads can move freely to and from the disk. Disk spins freely after applying hand brake and taking it off. Took the car round the block including some reversing and no squeals.

Driving up to rstuning this week so will see how it feels on the motorway.

Reactions: Big Ben