Rattler!!

My exhaust has recently started rattling, especially between 3-3.5k revs and on overrun. Renault tell me the weld between the pipe and the silencer is cracked, not sure if its going in to or coming out of the silencer yet though-I'm waiting on the diagnosis video.
Anyone got any experience of this? What would you say my options are, chop out the silencer and have a straight pipe welded in its place???
All suggestions/advice great fully received...

just a brief update in case anyone can offer any help...Renault want 400 quid to replace the centre section, needless to say i don't much fancy that! So I guess my options are to have the crack welded up or to use this as an excuse to get a new cat-back system. Does anybody know of any garages in Liverpool that will weld it? I've tried a couple of local garages and nobody is interested...

Don't pay that, might aswell get it patched up by a local garage then get a ktec exhaust or similar when the pop up on here for £400

I had had something similar happen to mine, I had a local garage (to me) offer a cat-back replacement for £350 using genuine Renault parts. In the end I found a place that knocked me up a new stainless steel middle box for about £80.

Much quieter too if raspy at 3k ish!