Rattle from tailgate, any ideas?

As per title really, I have an occasional rattle from the luggage compartment, pretty sure it is coming from the tailgate. The two side parts at each side of the rear window seem to wobble a bit when you grab them, but as far as I can tell they are fixed as they should be. Any other ideas?

seems pretty tight, but I will try closing it with a screwdriver and see if there is much play. I have tried moving the tailgate but it doesn't seem to have any play in it.

Thanks!

Had it on mine. Boot feels tigh but still rattles.
You'll need to adjust the boot catch(not the lock) so it closes tighter.

Renault greesed mine up today under warranty to fix the banging noise coming from the back of my 197. Not sure if it fixed for sure yet though.

Catch adjusted, problem solved! Big thanks to Jase!

No worries will, Si as well though :wink:

Arran... Best way to adjust the catch is to pop the trim off around the catch and then undo the 2 bolt just a littlethough so that they are still holding the catch because if you undo it to far it will just slip and you'll not know where it started.
Once the bolts are loose just tap the catch slightly in towards the car just a couple of mm should do it.
If youdo it too far you will have to slam the boot really hard to close it.

Sorry, I thought Si's suggestion was that the latch was faulty, mine was neither loose, nor faulty, it was just adjusted poorly. I should pay more attention, and do very much appreciate the suggestion though!

Exactly as Jase said, the catch is held in place by two torx bolts, strangely mine was at a slight angle. I just straightened it up and moved it back a touch, and job done.

To remove the trim, there are two push clips in the top of the trim, these just pull out, then two 13mm bolts holding the load tie down eyes in place, finally just tug the trim vertically upwards, starting from one end.

Ok, I'll see if the greese stops the banging and if it does I'll adjust the catch so it's more permenant.