Rattle from my fuel tank

Luke_197

Platinum Member
Hi everyone

Today I have been trying to find the source of this rattle that I've noticed for the past few months.

I originally thought it may be coming from the exhaust or the diffuser, but on closer inspection it has turned out to be coming from the fuel tank, basically under the car on the tank the are a few "target shape symbols" when I hit them hard I can hear a strange rattle. It's almost like there's ping pong ball rolling around in there(sounds silly I know) this also happens when I turn the engine over. And when i switch the engine off.

I had my fuel pump replaced in february under Renault warranty. So I'm going to book the car in with Renault tomorrow and blame them also try to get them to sort a few other bit whilst it's there.

Has anyone else experienced this

I'm gonna try to upload a video onto you tube will do this later.

Luke

Hi MihY,

No not sorted yet, but how funny cause believe it or not my car is at Renault having it checked out now. [emoji1]

They phoned me yesterday and have told me they will just going to go ahead and change the fuel pump under warrenty, the pump was squealing slightly too. Does yours squeal after you turn off the car or if you are idling and blip the throttle slightly?????

If the rattle goes away I'll let you know and everyone will know the cause of the noise is a faulty pump, if this fails renault will drop the tank and inspect inside incase something has fallen into the tank, but I think this unlikely.

Nope, my doeasn't squeal, but when I hit the fuel tank with hand, it do the same like a "ping-pong" ball. This is surely something in tank that is broken (but what :/ ?) because it start after my car was very crashed on front side...

I wait for your inspect, so can start with taking off tank...

Sry for my bad English... :smile:

ehu7yvyh.jpg

Turns out it was nothing to do with the Fuel pump. That white box with the sensor coming off it is the culprit. The tank was dropped and when you rock the tank from side to side you can clearly hear the rattle. Renault have replaced the whole tank under warrenty, however they told me it's the purpose of the white box is to stop flow of fuel if the car is rolled. So they think the new tank will do the same thing. I'm collecting the car tomorrow hopefully so will let you know. I also have a video of the rattle, I'll see if I can upload it

Sorry for bumping a very old thread but I have exactly the same problem as described by the two other posters. Luke (if you're still around) did changing the tank fix your problem, do you remember what the noise was like when driving around?

Mmm, Luke's last visit was Oct 2020.

Not too long ago, a bump of the thread might send him a notification