Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire HELP NEEDED

Morning lads

New member here and new to Renault :grinning:

I bought my Clio RS 197 on Thursday, 1500km from home. Car had a jerk every now and then with flickering engine light and also needed a service as per service light on the dash. After I bought it, I immediately serviced the vehicle to get it ready for my drive back home. New plugs (NGK Iridium BKR7EIX), fuel filter, oil + filter was done. I did the service myself. I noticed a decat has been done aswell when I serviced the vehicle.

The following morning I got ready for my drive back home, about 30min into my 13 hour journey the car went into a limp mode and showed 'check emissions' on the dash. Car was a little underpowered so I decided to keep on pushing forward. Made it safely home with the car still in limp and slightly underpowered. i immediately took off both the 02 sensors and gave them a clean, aswell as fitting a new 'cat fooler'. After this, I cleared the errors on the ecu (which were 02 sensor and random multiple misfire). After driving the car, it still has a slight hesitation to it and still feels slightly underpowered in my opinion. The 02 sensor error doesn't show back up, but the random/multiple misfire error still comes on. The engine light on the cluster flashes from time to time and goes away by itsself again after a short while. The code for the misfire is P0300.

I need to sort this out, but was thinking it's probably plugs, coils or injectors. The plugs I had put in is gapped to 0.7 standard. Just wanted to know if anyone has any tips for me as to what to do next, should I change plugs to OE spec, or can I change the plug gaps only (if yes, to what should I gap them). If the car is idling and I pull the wiring from each coil to see if there is a difference in idling, there is a CLEAR noticeable difference in idling.

Any help would be appreciated

Quick update on my own thread, I have done some reading and seen people having luck with replacing lambda's on the similar code I got. Here is a picture of the rear lambda I pulled with the cat old fooler in place, and my new one right next to it. Like mentioned after I put the new cat fooler, no more check emissions light on the dash. Could this lead me to believe that it's now my front lambda acting up?0B863F46-AAC8-4C7B-B8AA-1EBEDFDCDFEC.JPG

Have you done any more long journeys?

I get the multiple misfire code all the time on mine, but it doesn’t bring up any lights or faults on the dashboard.

Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

First things first - there is a HUUUUGE "How-to" section and loads of 'premium' content that I think you would find extremely useful, being that you're a new owner of a Clio, but you need to be a member to access these areas on the forum. I think it's £6 for the year - has saved me so much time and money. I cannot stress enough how helpful the how-to section is!

The issue you're having was pretty much the same with my 197 when I bought it - P0300 error constantly. I have not touched my o2 sensors though, I replaced all the plugs and all coils for genuine Renault parts and upon inspecting the coils, I could see one of them was corroded very badly inside. Since replacing, the car instantly performed MUCH better and I've never had the error code since.

Secondly, I would ensure that your MAP sensor is secured down. Again, there is a thread on this that explains in great detail what can be done to achieve this. Most people use zip ties/cable ties but there are brackets that have been machined to hold the MAP sensor down nicely.

Check all cables are clean and have good contact, especially around the coils.

Lastly, I would suggest that if yours has a decat manifold, I would remove the o2 'fooler' and get it remapped. I personally opted for a RSTuner that allows you to purchase your performance map and you can then flash it yourself. I think it comes in at around 200 Euro (not sure what it would be for you as you're in S/A) but this includes the RSTuner, the software and a map that you will be tweaked to suite your vehicle. These units are great because even if you do not wish to map the car, they can perform full diagnostics tests and more. Check them out here; www.fastchip.nl

If you decide to replace your plugs and coils, make sure you get genuine Renault parts. I hope this helps! :smile:

Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

First things first - there is a HUUUUGE "How-to" section and loads of 'premium' content that I think you would find extremely useful, being that you're a new owner of a Clio, but you need to be a member to access these areas on the forum. I think it's £6 for the year - has saved me so much time and money. I cannot stress enough how helpful the how-to section is!

The issue you're having was pretty much the same with my 197 when I bought it - P0300 error constantly. I have not touched my o2 sensors though, I replaced all the plugs and all coils for genuine Renault parts and upon inspecting the coils, I could see one of them was corroded very badly inside. Since replacing, the car instantly performed MUCH better and I've never had the error code since.

Secondly, I would ensure that your MAP sensor is secured down. Again, there is a thread on this that explains in great detail what can be done to achieve this. Most people use zip ties/cable ties but there are brackets that have been machined to hold the MAP sensor down nicely.

Check all cables are clean and have good contact, especially around the coils.

Lastly, I would suggest that if yours has a decat manifold, I would remove the o2 'fooler' and get it remapped. I personally opted for a RSTuner that allows you to purchase your performance map and you can then flash it yourself. I think it comes in at around 200 Euro (not sure what it would be for you as you're in S/A) but this includes the RSTuner, the software and a map that you will be tweaked to suite your vehicle. These units are great because even if you do not wish to map the car, they can perform full diagnostics tests and more. Check them out here; www.fastchip.nl

If you decide to replace your plugs and coils, make sure you get genuine Renault parts. I hope this helps! :smile:

Thanx for the reply m8! I’ll dig into everything you said in due time. I already have bigger issues. Was driving the car a little spirited today and the clutch gave up on me.... so now, first things first, I’ll prob pull the box later this week and get the clutch out so I can inspect it. I also ordered 4 new tires today, so expensive kickstart here. This sucks so much, as my Polo tdi is also sitting without a gearbox atm. Not the way I was hoping to start my renault relationship, but also no use crying over spilt milk I guess

Fair play - you seem to have a positive attitude towards the issues you're having.

When you replace the clutch, stick with genuine Renault parts and be sure to do the clutch slave cylinder at the same time. I've had my 197 for a little over 2 and a half years and I had the belts/pump and clutch (including CSC) done last year. I should've had them done as soon as I bought it as the service book was forged and I do not believe they were ever done at all!

One step at a time. Once you're up and running properly, you'll soon fall in love!

Good luck mate :smile:

These Clios need some TLC. If the last owner was lax in his maintenance, then you might have a few issues to clear. Once they are done tho, you can have years of trouble free fun!