Radio Volume Issue

Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the standard stereo volume in a Clio 3, particularly those of you with 200s with the newer style stereo, basically it goes up to volume 32 and when you start the car up its at the default volume of 15, well when I'm driving around at 30 mph I've got to have the radio at upwards of volume 20 to hear it, and upwards of 25 to hear it at 70mph.

I didn't think this was right being so close to the max volume for it just to be audible, I drive various cars at work all day and they are perfectly audible at volume 7 or 8, so went to Renault where the girl on service reception said in her car at volume 20 you wouldn't be able to hear yourself think and the workshop foreman said at 20 it should feel like its going to blow your window out, so it's booked in for the technical expert to have a look.

Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues?

They have been know not to come with rear speakers and tweeters in the dash, easy to check yourself by poping the covers off.

Have you checked there is no auto volume/limit activated on the head unit

yeah Ive checked all the settings I can find, just done a google search and it seems some people on the Renault forum have had a similar issue and ended up with having the unit repaired or replaced.

I find the standard 197 sound to be horrible! With the windows open, I can barely hear a thing! Lots of people here in south Africa have the same problem. My advice, turn the radio off, turn the revs up! My 197@8000 rpm? That's real music!

If you have a 200 they all came with rear speakers.

As pointed out there is a setting that auto increases the volume with speed.

But there was also a patch that increased the volume but I'm not sure if it ever came standard. Mine was pi$$ poor till I had it patched.

If you have a 200 they all came with rear speakers.

As pointed out there is a setting that auto increases the volume with speed.

But there was also a patch that increased the volume but I'm not sure if it ever came standard. Mine was pi$$ poor till I had it patched.

Tried the auto volume increase, still pitiful, as I said, max volume is 32, and ive gotta have it at 25 just to hear it on the motorway, surely 7 volumes away from max volume the sound should be thumping? but its not.

Take it Renault are well aware of the volume issue then if theyve issued a patch for it?

I have the standard radio at volume 12 on a daily basis. No issues hearing it so I guess that's what you should be aiming for.

Last edited:
have you checked the Volume Speed setting in the settings? i had this problem - turned the volume speed to 7 i think and now its a lot better. Its the change of volume from 1 to another.

Worked for me :smile:

Just a wee update to this, Car went to the dealer today and they reckon it needs a new radio so they're going to see if they can get authorisation to replace it under warranty.

What is this actis solution? And what does it do