R27 #239 front end refresh

R27#239

Paid Member
Hi im Oliver, live in Bromsgrove and work in Banbury. Give me a shout if you're local.

I bought my Clio a year ago now, when I first bought it I wasn't commuting far so it worked out perfectly. But soon I changed job and inevitably meant longer commuting (70+ miles a day)
attachment.php

A photo from the advert
attachment.php

When i bought it was pretty much standard having only a mid silencer delete and a remap.
It also had ktr black series discs, froddo ds2500 pads, braided lines and .5 fluid.

One of the first mods i did was to fit the Powerflex torque mount as i read up on the exhaust issues and i fitted a cup spoiler.
I also replaced the lower ball joints myself and lower wishbones.

attachment.php

Evo Triangle

attachment.php

Diffuser wars
attachment.php

At this point i was happy, only replacing tyres and servicing it.

Then i got the new job, commuting 70 miles a day and as you can imagine this costs eye watering amounts of fuel, puts pointless wear and mileage on the car. I didn't want to sell the car as I loved it too much, so I spent £600 on a mk4 golf 1.9 tdi and the Clio got to sit on the drive.
And it sat.

One Saturday i decided to give it a run, but during that little play my heart dropped as I could hear the exhaust starting to blow ��. This was confirmed when I jacked it up and have a look around the flexis.

So it was time for a refresh, i hired a council garage. In a fantastic rural location a mile or so from my house.

More to follow

Attachments

• Pre wing.jpg
    Pre wing.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 193
  • evo triangle.jpg
    evo triangle.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 191
  • renault-renaultsport-clio-renaultsport-vvt-f1-team-S1138288-1.jpg
    renault-renaultsport-clio-renaultsport-vvt-f1-team-S1138288-1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 193
  • clio next to the xf.jpg
    clio next to the xf.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 192
  • whisp in the boot.jpg
    whisp in the boot.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Interesting thread , will look forward to more updates. Wasn't aware you can rent council garages , got any more info ?

Interesting thread , will look forward to more updates. Wasn't aware you can rent council garages , got any more info ?

To clarify i mean a typical council estate garage, not a workshop. I just phoned my local council housing dept and asked what they had. Comes to £45 a month as i am not already renting from them.

I moved the car to the garage and set about getting the manifold out. Id read forums about it and expected to do it over 3 evenings and a weekend.
3 hours after getting the keys, cleaning the garage and getting the car in the air, it was done.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It wasn't too hard, that could be because im a mechanic and don't have the pressure to fix it as its not a daily any more.
The hardest part was pulling the subframe down hard enough as its still hung on the anti roll bar, steering rack and wishbones.
It also caught the heat shield, but i carefully bent it out of the way.

Attachments

• Car in garage.jpg
    Car in garage.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 188
  • car apart .jpg
    car apart .jpg
    88 KB · Views: 184
  • subframe down.jpg
    subframe down.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 186
  • subframe down (2).jpg
    subframe down (2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 186
With the manifold off i could see the extent to the blow.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After a bit of research i found a part number and ordered a pair for £25ish
They turned up a few days later.

o94pdi.jpg
They will be welded in by a work colleague at work

Attachments

• flexis.jpg
    flexis.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 172
  • flexis (2).jpg
    flexis (2).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 173
  • flexi with hole (2).JPG
    flexi with hole (2).JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 172
Whilst i was waiting for the flexis, Nick from the forum advertised a used toyo manifold. It was a no brainier to fit it.
21nh9av.jpg
Combined with a new gasket from Renault (£6) i fitted it.
Fitting a toyo is a lot easier due to the smaller single flexi and the lack of the pre cat.
2nbh6s8.jpg
s4ugqx.jpg

Whilst i had the exhaust off i decided that the silencer delete pipe was to be replaced purely as the previous owner had used a low grade of steel pipe.
I found a seller on ebay advertising a 304 grade stainless replacement for £20. Bargain
24obocy.jpg
2upe80n.jpg
351edzq.png
Sellers photo

Next i set about replacing the anti roll bar and anti rotation linkages.
You can get these for £60 each from Renault, or with a bit of research £10 from a motor factors (they look to be better quality too)
2dw87o.jpg
To remove them i tapped an allen key socket into the joint and a spanner to turn it. Whilst tapping it into the left arb link it sheared.
I did have a knock from this side that i spent ages looking for. Quite scary!
bizwn.jpg
2m4xe8g.jpg

As i have fitted a new manifold i want to protect it.
Ive ordered a complete set of powerflex engine mounts, adjustable front wishbone bushes and rear beam bushes.
I removed the dogbone mount to get more room fitting the new manifold.
But the thread had pulled due to being done up so tight at some point.
2isjuog.jpg
zvz8sw.jpg
The bolt will clean up with a die and it looks like only the first 2 threads are damaged in the mount. So i will try tapping them out.
If that works i will also fit a K-nut on the top to ensure its locked to the mount.
A new mount is £80 from Renault, or £20 from a breakers. Not the end of the world.

Finally out the dog bone was also scrap, totally split and useless.
29c2xhv.jpg
Renault wanted £60 for a new one, but my local indi motor factors wanted £30 and had one on the shelf. Winner!
5fg5c4.jpg
Will refit this when i get the bushes

You are very good with the spanner it seems mate:smile: Wish I had the skills to do that!

Nice one, you are now looking for a remap I take it?

Thank you, I haven't worked on many road cars. Im a motorsport mechanic so my standards are high. Just used to clean cars.
I will see how it runs as it has been remapped by Kate when the centre silencer was removed. I believe the remap was due to the flat spot, so hopefully it will be ok. Will have to wait and see.

Nice work , interesting about the motor factors dog bone. May try my local factors for one (mine was beginning to perish on the non powerflex end) look forward to more updates

Looks like the car has had similar issues to mine. My manifold blew, so I replaced it with a Toyosport and noticed the state of the lower dog bone mount. I picked one up a little cheaper than that off eBay though.

Update, bought a pair of top mounts with bearings for £34 a side.
Will go on tomorrow.

Also the thread on the dogbone mount repaired, although it took me a while to locate an M14x2.0 tap and die.

Powerflex bushes should land tomorrow so i can refit the subframe, refit the exhaust and remove the wishbones

Bit of an update.

Finally the bushes arrived and i had everything i need.
2j5kx2e.jpg

The first job was the anti roll bar bushes, nice and easy job except that i had to cut 1 bush to open it around the bar.

2zny807.jpg
140hf2u.jpg

This allowed me to get the subframe bolted back up and after fiddling with the wire routing i was happy.
I refitted the dog bone mount and new dog bone with powerflex insert.

The upper mount and gearbox mount were to follow. Relatively simple job too.

9rqd5x.jpg
f1iqdk.jpg

Upon removing the gearbox mount, i found it was also no good. So i replaced it again from a local factors for £20
a9phf8.jpg
257no5v.jpg
2dkkacj.jpg
14b2mg8.jpg

With all the engine mounts done, ive started removing the suspension to be rebuilt.

I also had my old manifold repaired
jfysuv.jpg
ra85zd.jpg
2rom49w.jpg
34i493s.jpg

If anybody requires any welding or a manifold repaired, PM me and i will put you in contact with chris!
ruy1ki.jpg

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave W Clios For Sale 1
Tarticmonkey Car Parts For Sale 0
VehicleOfChoice Clios For Sale 0
rSilva New Members 10
R New Members 0