PS4 on track

Also if you're on stock suspension i'd stick to a PS4, AD08s come into their own once you have coilovers and a more aggressive alignment.

I wouldn’t say that... since having my coilovers fitted the ad08r’s as good as they are are not a true semi slick and have limited grip compared to an AR-1 etc .

For a stock set up the ad08 are perfect for dry weather !

At my track days in September, I will have PS2 on front, PS4 on rear, only reason, my son gave them to me!. As I generally use everyday tyres, even on track, should be interesting.

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but would appreciate some advice for those of you that have run PS4 on track.

What kind of stint do you think the PS4 can handle, if trying to preserve its lifespan (i.e. not kill them a few track days)?

At Snetterton, would it be sensible to do, say, 2 warm up laps, 5 hard laps (approx 10 to 15 mins), and then a cooldown lap? Or does that sound conservative or optimistic? I heard they go 'greasy' after a certain amount of time.

Also, what is the recommended hot tyre pressure?

Thanks in advance.

It depends very much on the conditions really. If it's cold they'll last for a while... I've easily done 30-40 mins at Oulton in the cold, but I'm quite smooth.
You just need to keep in mind they're road tyres... Not pushing on to much, and ideally not pushing through understeer.

Michelins recommended hot pressure is 36psi

@RSRowe Cheers - that's exactly what I wanted to know. I will bare in mind not pushing on with them too much.

Do you just start at recommended road pressures (34 front / 31 rear) and then just chase the pressures down after coming into the pits, or do you start a bit lower?

For me, 30f 32r cold will generally result in 36 hot all round.
Just see how you go on. Do a couple of laps at first before checking, then gradually build up.

Reactions: Bomster
It depends very much on the conditions really. If it's cold they'll last for a while... I've easily done 30-40 mins at Oulton in the cold, but I'm quite smooth.
You just need to keep in mind they're road tyres... Not pushing on to much, and ideally not pushing through understeer.

Michelins recommended hot pressure is 36psi
Interesting Michelin recommend 36psi. I use mine in the wet and they rarely get above 33psi and I’m comfortable at that pressure. I’ll try 36 next time but have reservations

Good grief, 36 hot????

I run 28F / 29R otherwise they just cant grip anywhere after the warmup lap. Could be my ambient is around 30++ so that doesnt help...

Interesting Michelin recommend 36psi. I use mine in the wet and they rarely get above 33psi and I’m comfortable at that pressure. I’ll try 36 next time but have reservations

I've read 36 hot a few times, but never actually seen it officially written down. I trawled the Michelin website and couldn't find anything specific.

Yeah 36 hot. I've definitely seen it on a pdf somewhere on the Mich site.
It's the same pressure recommended for the cup 2 aswell.

I'd certainly never consider using a road tyre at 30 hot personally. Waaaaay too much sidewall deflection.

Yeah 36 hot. I've definitely seen it on a pdf somewhere on the Mich site.
It's the same pressure recommended for the cup 2 aswell.

I'd certainly never consider using a road tyre at 30 hot personally. Waaaaay too much sidewall deflection.

Yea I get that, The tires definitely roll on track days with lower pressures. But not as badly as you think...I dont get any scrubbing on the shoulders, but I am running top mounts.

Any higher pressures and the car just does not want to grip in high speed sections.

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but would appreciate some advice for those of you that have run PS4 on track.

What kind of stint do you think the PS4 can handle, if trying to preserve its lifespan (i.e. not kill them a few track days)?

At Snetterton, would it be sensible to do, say, 2 warm up laps, 5 hard laps (approx 10 to 15 mins), and then a cooldown lap? Or does that sound conservative or optimistic? I heard they go 'greasy' after a certain amount of time.

Also, what is the recommended hot tyre pressure?

Thanks in advance.
Snetterton is a long track, if you are breaking 2:40 on road tyres in a road car you are peddling well. If you want to keep temps down then you can be on it by the time you come to Bentley Straight and then 3 further laps is already going to see you over 10 minutes.
And I can assure everybody that road tyres do roll at low pressures and so you need to put whatever pressure is required, even if that is 50, to keep them off the sidewalls, especially if it is life you are after. 20190221_143017.jpg

The reason why you need to support the shoulder is because there is virtually nothing under the tread. I have piles and piles of "sports" tyres that have 80% of their tread on most of the tyre and nothing on the shoulder. Just look at the pictures of the cut up one. The steel belts end at the shoulder and there is very little tread there to start with. If you run the tyre soft you roll and the wear goes to the very edge and the tread will start to peel. These tyres are from a car launch. I had 60psi in the fronts just to make them last most of a day. Pictures

Snetterton is a long track, if you are breaking 2:40 on road tyres in a road car you are peddling well. If you want to keep temps down then you can be on it by the time you come to Bentley Straight and then 3 further laps is already going to see you over 10 minutes.
And I can assure everybody that road tyres do roll at low pressures and so you need to put whatever pressure is required, even if that is 50, to keep them off the sidewalls, especially if it is life you are after. View attachment 138742

The reason why you need to support the shoulder is because there is virtually nothing under the tread. I have piles and piles of "sports" tyres that have 80% of their tread on most of the tyre and nothing on the shoulder. Just look at the pictures of the cut up one. The steel belts end at the shoulder and there is very little tread there to start with. If you run the tyre soft you roll and the wear goes to the very edge and the tread will start to peel. These tyres are from a car launch. I had 60psi in the fronts just to make them last most of a day. Pictures

Wow, I have never seen anything like that! Good shout on the safety aspect, will keep an eye on my sidewalls.

Hi all - I did Snetterton yesterday and the PS4 did great. I ran 30F/31R cold and they were at 35psi once I was back in the pitlane... not sure how much PSI is lost in a few minutes of cooling down and parking up? Anyway, I never noticed and real drop off in performance, however after my 4th session (which was considerably quicker than before thanks to no traffic and more confidence) I noticed the tyre surface looked like it had been melted?? Is that normal? I posted a pic below. Also it looks like I managed to avoid running on the sidewalls?

IMG_20200316_174547.jpg

Nothing to worry about at all. Few road miles and they'll go straight back to normal

One thing which I've just remembered which is worth mentioning. Is make sure you do a good cool down lap. As parking up can give you flat spots in the rubber

Similar Thread Suggestions