Projector/Reflector Headlight Questions

Sam E

Paid Member
Hi guys,

I've recently been trying to source some black insert/projector headlights to replace the tired/cloudy/sun damaged reflector units on my 197 Cup but I've got confused with different part numbers I've found.

On eBay there appears to be 2 'sets' of part numbers for black insert lights (which I am assuming are all projectors, Renault didn't make black insert reflectors to my understanding?) which are:

(These tend to have 2006-2007 dates on the stickers)

(These tend to have 2005-2006 dates on the stickers)

Now my question is, are both sets of these part numbers projector headlights for a Phase 1 Mark 3 Clio? All 4 part numbers are the right shape and look near enough identical but the fact there's 2 different lots of part numbers has me questioning myself. If they are all projector units, am I right in assuming the first set of numbers are a supersession of the original part #s and therefore 'better'?

I actually ordered a single (at least what I think is a projector unit) headlight from a breaker on eBay but it arrived with a chunk missing from the lense (so it's being sent back) and has no part number sticker on it so I can't tell which part it actually is. I'm 99% sure it's a projector unit given it's a black insert but the bottom of the case has 'reflecteur' written on it twice which has added yet more confusion to things.

Given that buying used headlights is a complete lottery and you can't really tell if the lense has the common spiderweb-esque cracking within the plastic from pictures, I'm tempted to just buy a new set from Renault, I don't suppose anyone knows how much they charge for a new set nowadays?

Hopefully my post makes sense and someone can clear up the mass of confusion I've caused myself.

Cheers

It is a bit of a pain getting a set which isn’t damaged in the post. That’s half the battle.
I wouldn’t get too fixated on the part numbers personally. So long as they look right and are the halogen projectors, you won’t have an issue.

Just need to be wary of the xenon units. I’m not entirely sure if these are plug and play.

It is a bit of a pain getting a set which isn’t damaged in the post. That’s half the battle.
I wouldn’t get too fixated on the part numbers personally. So long as they look right and are the halogen projectors, you won’t have an issue.

Just need to be wary of the xenon units. I’m not entirely sure if these are plug and play.

As Nathe said, just get ones that are definitely Halogen (majority are).
Xenons are not plug and play (also illegal anyway without washer jets).

A good way to tell Valeo ones are this green like tag on the inside

s-l300__01.jpg

Reactions: Sean197
Cheers the replies guys, nice to know both sets of part numbers are the correct units.

I phoned my local dealer yesterday and asked for a price on the first two part numbers in my original post but they said they're either invalid part numbers (which I can't see being the case considering they're direct from OEM stickers on eBay lights) or they're NLA. They did say that if I can get a reg of a car that came factory fitted with projectors then the system might accept that and get a price. I don't suppose anyone has a reg of a car that came with projectors from the factory that they don't mind me using do they? Can even be a non-sport pre facelift Mark 3 I'd assume.

Cheers.

Legend! Cheers.

Given they couldn't find the part number originally I'm not holding out much hope for brand new ones from a dealer so I'll probably just have to keep scouring eBay for some decent ones. I'll phone up Monday and ask anyway, new ones would save a lot of hassle.

Thanks again!

Update for anyone who might find it useful:

Phoned the local dealer again today and gave them the reg from @RSRowe and as expected, new lights are not cheap... £213 + VAT each in fact

To be fair, compared to modern lights that's an absolute bargain but spending over £500 on a pair of headlights is a tad much for me.

I guess that leaves me with the question, does anyone have a good condition pair of projectors they'd like to sell? I'll make a post in the wanted section to and hope for the best.

Cheers

I got mine off eBay for like £60 for a pair after some searching (both Valeo too), so just type in "MK3 Clio Headlights" and filter through them as you can tell the Projectors quite easily.

I got mine off eBay for like £60 for a pair after some searching (both Valeo too), so just type in "MK3 Clio Headlights" and filter through them as you can tell the Projectors quite easily.

Yeah I've been scouring eBay daily trying to find a set recently, it's just trying to find a set that haven't got ruined lenses which is easier said than done when you're dealing with 15ish year old headlights. I went to my local scrapyard/used parts place today to grab a pair of facelift rear lights and asked about headlights whilst I was there, but they only had 2 left hand lights in pretty bad condition, so I left them for now.

Cheers for all the help though, hopefully I can snag a set soonish!

Here's a few that look in good condition, not £60 cheap (but this was many years ago). Still a hell of a lot cheaper than new!

Sorry I completely forgot to reply to this, I got distracted by the headlight listings clearly.

Thanks for the links, I ordered a single light off another breaker on eBay that was listed as 'A+ Good Condition', only for it to turn up quite frankly FUBAR, I suspect they were using a generic picture for the listing considering they listed another unit with the exact same pictures after I'd received mine. I'm not expecting a mint factory fresh set of lights considering they're nearly 15 years old at this point but something in usuable condition would've at least been nice. :chair:

Needless to say I got a refund on that light and the hunt continues, although I've been put even further off buying a set unseen on eBay now so hopefully a set come up locally that I can view before actually buying.

Cheers again for the links, I'll keep looking. :sunglasses: